Now Testing: City street/node updates

Wyoming, MI if you are still doing cities manually :slight_smile: Wyoming, Michigan - CityStrides

Thanks for always improving the site!

If you are still taking suggestions, Aberdeen Scotland (Aberdeen, Scotland - CityStrides) has some updates that I’d love to see reflected!

Does this also explain why I am receiving credit for completing streets, which I have not in fact completed? If I display certain streets on my life map they still show up with lots of red nodes, but they appear in my list of “completed” streets. I’m in Vancouver.

Yeah. That will get cleaned up as I clean up each city’s data.

1 Like

@JamesChevalier Keller ( https://citystrides.com/cities/14388 ) Looks great! I checked all the places I can remember, with OSM edits, and the red inaccessible nodes (due to private &/or gated streets) are gone. Kudos!

PS. Remembered two in Granbury, and they look good too!

PPS. Oh, and NEW streets in Keller are there too!

But found something odd. A while back I ran 3 new streets, that were not in OSM at the time. I added to OSM. They are now in the Keller CS db, and they are in the “complete” list. But, after searching for the streets, under COMPLETE, and clicking SHOW, red nodes are shown.

The streets are Pine Valley Road, Utopia Court, and Madison Court.

Here’s a screenshot:

Not a biggie, but thought I would mention this finding.

Here too: CityStrides , but in this case I did not run on the new streets, yet, but I did “hit the nodes.”

Oh, and in both cases, Node Hunter does NOT reveal the same “red” nodes.

Maybe this is expected during the transition, but my profile is definitely a bit haywire, possibly because of the specific beta cities I suggested? Cambridge MA, which was 100% for me prior to the update, and then post-update had about 6 incomplete streets, now shows as only one street completed. Somerville MA is listed as 99.13% complete, but my profile also lists all the streets as incomplete, and node hunter shows virtually every node in the city.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s part of the rebuild - I have to do a complete wipe of progress & then recalculate it all. The data deletion takes so long. :confounded:

1 Like

@tev4 & @JamesChevalier, thank you for this info. Me too.

So yesterday I was up to 93% done with my town (Fair Lawn, NJ), and today it’s been wiped completely out to 0.0%!! All the routes I’ve run are still visible on the map, but every single street in the town is tagged as incomplete. Help!!

@esthergrub-

@JamesChevalier can correct me if I am wrong, but I think you just have to be patient. I had to wait a few days before my progress was back to normal.

If it is still that way tomorrow or the next day, something may have gone wrong with your update.

1 Like

Ok thanks. It’s just very distressing to see all those numbers go back down to zero! Especially since the other striders from my town still have all their data. My supporter status was re-upped for the month yesterday too. Very, very strange!

If you are still updating cities manually can you add Cardiff, Wales (and her nested cities) please,

Parent city: https://citystrides.com/cities/171366

Nested city: https://citystrides.com/cities/130572
Nested city: https://citystrides.com/cities/130568
Nested city: Caerau, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Llandaff, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Llandaff North, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: St. Fagans, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Radyr and Morganstown, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Pentyrch, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Whitchurch, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Tongwynlais, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Rhiwbina, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Thornhill, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Lisvane, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Butetown, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Grangetown, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Castle, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Riverside, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Heath, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Llanishen, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Cathays, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Gabalfa, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Roath, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Adamsdown, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Splott, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Tremorfa, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Penylan, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Cyncoed, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Llanedeyrn, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Pentwyn, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Pontprennau, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Llanrumney, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Rumney, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides
Nested city: Trowbridge, Cymru / Wales - CityStrides

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Just an update, in case it helps. My cities mentioned above are back to near-100% complete, but still have …

• Zero-node streets (e.g. Braemore Rd) that are impossible to complete unless I charter a boat off the coast of Ghana
  • Streets (e.g. Crescent St) that show red nodes despite my GPS has clearly traversed them

Yeah, all my cleanup is done now. I’m about to re-test with my hometown again. I’ll be slowing my testing way down this time, because I really don’t want to have to clean up another several hundred million records.

The zero-node streets are impossible to complete, full stop. There are no nodes to complete. The reason that the map goes to that location is because its lat/lon is 0/0. I’m looking into how these streets can exist in CityStrides.

The streets you don’t have marked as complete could be either that the GPS tracks from your activity/activities weren’t within 25m of the nodes. It can randomly happen out that way, either from wonky GPS or the timing of when the tracking app reads GPS & you’re moving down the street … or it could be that the processing didn’t pick it up for some reason.

1 Like

Understood on the 0/0 lat/long thing. Good luck on tracking that down!

I’m pretty sure it’s a processing issue, not GPS, for the other streets. Here is a more blatant example: Aberdeen Way in Cambridge MA, and my activity on 8-Feb-2018.

This street is labelled as Incomplete for me, despite my GPS tracks looking close enough and all the nodes being green. :slight_smile:

Oh! If the nodes are green, then yes - the street will be marked as complete. Sounds like either the part of processing that determines if the street is complete hasn’t run / ran before the part of processing that marks nodes as complete … or a cache issue. It’s a distributed system & some pieces are faster than others, so stats can go funky sometimes - usually doesn’t persist beyond one or two activities (the next activity you complete will likely resolve this).

OK. I’m pretty sure I’ve had a few activities since first seeing this issue, but I’ll check again after a few more. Thanks for the quick and useful replies.

If I do charter a boat and go to 0/0 off the coast of Ghana, how many streets in how many cities would end up marked complete? It might be worth it… Get a jump on the competition…

(Kidding)

4 Likes

Post COVID CityStrides cruise?

4 Likes