Now Testing: City street/node updates

On October 17th, cities that had been updated on September 21st have been updated again. It indicates a cycle of less than 4 weeks. That’s much shorter than the first estimation and that’s very good news.

Unfortunately, the gap between the sum of complete and incomplete streets and the total number of streets in a city has further widened in most cities I have checked. That is so because the total number of streets has in most cases not been updated while complete/incomplete streets have.

On the first page of the city list on my profile, there is just one exception: Köln (Cologne). There, the total number of streets has been updated as well. I cannot see why it is different in the smaller cities.

There are some spectacular cases, at least in percentage. In Potsdam (updated on October 16th), the sum of complete and incomplete streets I see is 995. The displayed total number of streets is 1102. This is a big difference!
I expect an update for my hometown tomorrow, and the magnitude and the unpredictability of the changes worry me a bit.

Hey James, Updates are going great … too great :slight_smile:

If I recall highway=service were not being pulled into CS but I have located at least one that has been, the adjacent highway=service have not been. The only differentiator that I can tell is that the streets not pulled in, do not have a ‘name’

Bell Tower Drive

unnamed

I have not changed the street on OSM so that you can review

Thanks,
Ken

It looks like I only have ['highway' !~ 'services'] right now

also, the name tag is required

It looks like the only questionable data loss from ignoring highway=services would be alley and that might only be problematic in very particular places:

In some (e.g. medieval European) settlements alleys may be the very narrow streets which run in-between buildings, providing public through-access.

1 Like

No worries in that case, I will continue to ‘battle’ the unknown forces that list everything as ‘YES’. We don’t want to exclude those medieval alleys, they have got to be so cool to traverse.

@JamesChevalier

I am now starting to see the 2nd update from OSM on many of my towns. 1st update seemed to be in-line with what was expected. However the 2nd update (mid October 2020) has caused many anomalies. I now have two towns with 0 incomplete streets but the “percentage complete” went from 100% to 99.xx%.

Allenstown, NH

Bedford, NH

I have also noticed a large reduction in the number of total streets in each town (as many as 20+ streets removed in some towns). Do you have an updated filter list? It looks like many of the Class VI roads that I completed where removed from the street list. Specifically, it looks like any roads classified as “Unmaintained Track Road” were removed as runnable streets.

That could be a cache issue, let me know how it looks tomorrow.

Yeah, I’m updating that query semi-regularly. CityStrides Street Query (also linked from About the Node, Street, and City Data). Track is now ignored.

The nice thing about how the data updates ~monthly is that this query can be adjusted & the data will be updated fairly quickly. Let me know your perspective on ignoring highway=track.

Ending query with “Ok gimme data”… No please or thank you?

The impact of the highway=track removal is huge, and, at first sight, disastrous.

Can you elaborate on the reasons for this change?
I mean, those ways have names (at least the ones that were in CS until now), they are obviously runnable and they are often the most beautiful roads in a city.

James, Most of these tracks and Class VI roads are very accessible and runnable. If there were any that were posted and/or gated, I was taking the same approach as residential roads by changing in OSM to gated and/or access to “no” or “private”. I would personally like to see them stay in the list of runnable streets.

1 Like

It’s my server and I can treat it how I like :laughing:

Nah, it’s super easy to re-add data via another update run

Oh, ok - just some OSM edits needed to clean the bad ones out

It was likely either Unmaintained Track Roads or Should "highway=track" records exist in CityStrides? or me spotting actual high school / college tracks in CityStrides tagged this way & filtering them out.

I’m fine with re-adding the track tag. I’m pretty sure I filtered those out after seeing proper tracks in CityStrides. I was flying blind with OSM tags for a while.

1 Like

All the new streets in my city, Haarlemmermeer, have suddenly disappeared again. Until last week I saw about 30 new streets in my city but all with the zero-node issue. All these streets are gone now. Is this because you are still working on this?

Thank you.

I see 1385 streets in Haarlemmermeer, Noord-Holland - CityStrides

Do you know the name of a street that’s missing now? I might be able to find that in OSM and see if it’s tagged in a way that would remove it from the site. Maybe it’s the same “track” tag issue.

Hi James, see some examples in the attached screen print…

It appears your global removal of zero node streets worked in my city. I just checked the first ten pages of uncompleted streets and all of them showed up on the map. Last time I checked (last week) I found one on the third page. The last update was two weeks ago, so it was not fixed by the normal update process.

I still have at least one uncompleted street which should be marked complete, and the number of completed and incomplete streets don’t add up to the total number of streets. However, I’m only at 66% with 18 pages of streets to complete, so there’s no rush on this. Let’s see if the next update fixes the issue rather than trying to address it separately. At this point I can only consider getting new streets on weekends, so it’ll be a while before I complete my city.

A bunch of the streets in this area were updated 5 days ago. I’m not good enough with OSM to determine what the changes were. It’s possible that they were re-tagged in a way that would now allow them into CityStrides. Maybe on 2020-09-24 they were tagged in a way that would not allow them into CityStrides.
We’ll know after the next update.

James,

You are right, those streets were changed only 5 days ago. I did however find another street (Kunaweg in city Haarlemmermeer) that was updates last 11 months ago. Also that street did appear in Citystrides last week (with zero nodes) and has now disappeared from Citystrides. So that should be a different issue?

Thanks again.

@JamesChevalier
Is there anything I can do to get the incomplete streets into the incomplete list. Any refreshing somewhere or so?
I have started to look for them manually, but it takes forever to go through all streets. As long as the street is in the complete-list, they corresponding node don’t even show up in the node hunter, even if the street ist below 90%. So it is a real hassle to find the incompleted streets among the completed ones.

Hi James today I noticed that ther were more zero nodes streets in Amsterdam? Is that still temporarily?

1 Like

James,

Today this city has been updated again in Citystrides. 35 ‘new’ streets appeared in the city and my completion percentage went down to 97,5% (from 100%). The old problem (zero nodes) is now also back again. Nearly all of the 35 new streets have zero-nodes. In OSM all new streets look ok to me so I cannot figure out why they look incorrect in Citystrides.

Hope these details help you to improve the import routines from OSM.
In the meantime I got 35 new streets to run, that will keep me busy…

Thank you,

Casper

1 Like

@p.gomes, I noticed the same thing. I also noticed my city (Keller) had an OSM update on 10/20/20. So I think the OSM update brought back the 0-node streets. @JamesChevalier had posted that he ran a global delete on 0-node streets, with, I presume, the knowledge that the next update will pick them back up. Looks like that happed, but they still have 0 nodes.