Not sure I should fix OSM in Jacksonville

Well, that was interesting.

I went to Jacksonville, FL, to see my daughter perform in a musical version of It’s a Wonderful Life. I stuck around the next day so that I could help her drive home for the holiday.

Since she had two more shows that next day, I decided that part of killing time could be done by running in downtown Jacksonville. It was a very nice run, based on a run on the Great Runs site.

Today I went to see how the run came out: Fredrik Coulter's Activity on December 24, 2020 - CityStrides. Somehow a run that was primarily on a running / biking trail completed seven different streets. Except that I then looked at the seven streets that were finished. Not all of them are actually streets. Northbank and Southbank Riverwalk is a running / biking trail with no cars allowed. Kayak Launch is just that, a sloped section of grass that leads to the river to launch a kayak. (I suspect you could also launch a canoe there.)

So should I correct OSM? That would still eventually leave me with four completed streets. But do I care enough about Jacksonville to fix it’s map? It’s cold and I’m tired. And I’m feeling lazy. And I doubt I’ll be running there again. (Well, maybe next month; my daughter is also in Singing in the Rain. But it may just be a quick drive up and back.)

In the meantime, have happy holidays, no matter what holiday you celebrate.

1 Like

I’ll chime. I feel more compelled to fix errors I find in the places I live / run regularly. If I came across errors elsewhere, I would be less motivated, but then again, I do feel like being an ambassador of sorts, to make the OSM world a more accurate place, especially since OSM, by way of CS, has given me so much joy.

Personally, I would feel better making a place more accurate, even knowing I would loose some streets.

Happy Holidays to you as well!

1 Like