Nodehunter: show street(s) when clicking node

I use the node hunter feature to see which areas I want to run next. But I find that I often wonder whether a node is part of a non-runnable “street”, or of a real street, and what other nodes are part of that street.

So I think it would be cool if on clicking on a node will show which street this node is part of. I guess it could be multiple streets? Also, if the other nodes could change colour that would be really helpful.

I lost track of this one, but I do believe it has since been added. You can click on nodes to get a popup that includes the street name, city name, and node count for the street. The street & city name both link out to their respective pages.

If a clicked node applies to multiple streets, they will all be listed in the popup.

I’m still looking into the possibility of adjusting the colors of other nodes on the same street.

1 Like

Just wanted to say I find this VERY useful.

I was going to suggest showing the data when a pointer hovers over a node, but this is probably better from a multi-platform & performance perspective.

Great work James!

It is absolutely very useful. I use it a lot to highlight full streets to complete after using node hunter on a cluster of unfinished streets. Also, a useful way to find which city (in CityStrides) the area you are visiting (on vacation) belongs to.

Personally I think that showing the information on hover would be a bit visually annoying even if platform compatibility was no concern. Although the current way of viewing the information and dismissing it clashes a bit with the route builder. Especially on mobile where clicking a node while building a route results in large parts of the screen being covered. Dismissing the street box by clicking the map will add something to the route, that must then be removed by the undo functionality. No idea how to improve this interaction though.

I work around this by toggling nodes on/off while creating a route, as opposed to leaving the nodes visible the entire time. So my workflow ends up looking something like:

• Toggle Route Builder on
  • Click my starting point
  • Click Node Hunter to show the nodes
  • Click Node Hunter to hide the nodes
  • Click the next step of my route
  • Repeat show/hide Node Hunter as needed
  • Repeat steps of my route

If the area you’re planning a route in has little coverage (you haven’t been there yet) then this requires very little Node Hunter interaction … For areas that you’re trying to finish up (you’ve been there a few times and just have some lingering bits) then this requires a little more Node Hunter interaction.

It’s certainly not perfect, but it does avoid messing up routes.

3 Likes