New: Garmin Integration -- Available To EVERYONE

If you are still looking for test accounts, I would be happy to participate!

You should be able to go into your settings and click the ‘Run History Sync’ button. :+1:

Hi James, recently migrated to Garmin for syncing - is there a way to only import runs (or a future enhancement where we choose activities to import)? I sometimes walk but don’t want those included in my Striding activities.

Or is there a way of deleting walks as they come in?

Hello, I hope you can help me, I started the historical synchronization last Tuesday and at first it went great, but for a week nothing happens and there are still many activities missing. If it helps you, I can tell you exactly what activities are missing. Could you tell me if I can do anything?

I really appreciate that Garmin Integration is available for everyone, as Garmin is my go-to device. I immediately connected and paused Strava sync and I really hope that it helps in solving the syncing issues that were encountered last couple of weeks.
Thanks for the hard work!

3 Likes

Hey James, if you still need Garmin historical sync testers, I’d like to participate Ken Tarullo - CityStrides

There’s a button in your Settings page (top right menu) now, right in that same area where you connected Garmin :+1:

I’ve heard of a couple other cases like this :thinking:

Dates are best - does it look like everything before a certain date is missing or is it a bit more random?
Keep in mind that only running/walking types are imported (see full list in original post :point_up:)

Share your profile link and the dates that are missing (date ranges are fine)

Where can I see that button (Run History Sync)? I cannot seem to find it…

It should be in the same Available Trackers box:

I do hide it after you’ve clicked it once. :thinking: These Garmin history syncs use loads of memory, so I don’t want people mashing on the button. :grimacing:

1 Like

All missing activities are between 13.july.2013 and 21.april.2016.
In this period only the activities from the 30.may.2014 and 13. july.2015 to 25.july.2015 are already transfered.
And here is the link to my profil: Marie-Chantal Laaser - CityStrides
Thanks for trying to solve the problem.

There is no Run History Sync button available on my Settings to pull in the other half of my Strava activities.

Thank you!

Sarah:

Just to make sure you understand what should be there, the “run history sync” button only is for Garmin, not any of the other services. Also, you only have to select it once and it should get your entire Garmin history from that button press (if it works properly). If there are Garmin activities still missing, let @JamesChevalier know the date range from Garmin that did not get synced so he can narrow down what he is looking for.

JP

Thanks for the clarification!
There are only 2 activities I found (9/11/19 and 9/15/19) missing from Garmin.
Strava is missing approx. 230 activities (9/29/2014-7/6/2019). Only 9 activities have pulled in.
I greatly appreciate all the work you are doing on this site!

That is good info, Sarah.

@JamesChevalier will have to look into the two Garmin activities. As for the Strava activities, it is probably just patience as even with the Garmin integration being rolled out, there are still many many Strava activities in the backlog.

Once you know all your Strava activities are in CityStrides, be sure to “pause” Strava unless you have a Strava-only activity to bring in. If you don’t pause Strava it will still take up some of the limited number of times per day CS can access Strava. I am pretty sure if you pause Strava before you get your history synced it won’t actually come in if it gets to you in the queue and you are paused.

1 Like

Been using CityStrides for a few weeks now and it’s a great challenge on non workout days. I do actually have data in my Garmin & Strava accounts since 2004 when got the Forerunner 201 “brick”. I have decided would rather go for “brand new” streets than repeating ones have already done in these 16 years. However only my Strava data is “clean”. So my current tactic is using the RunGap app to send all my Strava activities (about 6,500 and it has done about half in the last 10 hours) to RunKeeper then was planning to sync here from RunKeeper as a one off. After that might switch to Garmin as my main import as I use Forerunners so everything goes there first but I use Strava to alter the title and engage with friends and on segments etc etc.

Anyway keep up the good work. Have paid up for a few months and hope to renew but I fear if most rely on Strava it will become impossible to see your latest runs for ages if ever which rather defeats the object.

Regards
Tim

Still missing?

Hi, I recently started using a Garmin to track my runs and would love to switch my syncing method from Stava to Garmin. However, my Strava history sync isn’t complete yet and there are runs from before I had a Garmin that aren’t imported yet.

Is my best bet to not do anything until all my runs from before I started using a Garmin (5/10/20) are synced, then pause Strava and link Garmin? Or something else?

Thanks!

Saturday, Strava was down so once I finished my run, I paused Strava in CityStrides and connected Garmin. (I usually use Strava record an activity for a project I’m doing, Pedestrians in Peoria, and my Garmin as records of my personal runs.)

Saturday’s run Garmin record didn’t sync but Sunday’s did. I turned in a request for a missing sync. But in hindsight, I’m realizing I likely would have needed to connect Garmin BEFORE that run, rather than after.

Is there any way for me to get that one Garmin run into my citystrides? I did a lot of streets, 24.48 miles of a painful slog, so I hate to lose those.

@pedestriansinpeoria here is a quick fix: New: Garmin Integration -- Available To EVERYONE - #99 by tkajstura

I can sync individual Garmin activities if I have your profile link and the exact date of the activity. I’ll eventually build this into the single activity sync form that exists for Strava - probably sooner than later, given the number of requests so far :sweat_smile: