New: Garmin Integration -- Available To EVERYONE

Thank you so much! The date of the activity is May 16th and it’s an upload from Garmin. I still have the Garmin sync connected.

Hi! I love this site, thanks a lot for the good work! I connected to my Garmin account (and disconnected Strava). Pretty sure I hit the Run History Sync button as I can no longer see it. My activities are appearing almost immediately after I got for a run, but I am missing my older activities form Garmin. Looks like all of my historical activities from Strava are there (from before I connected with Garmin), going back to about 2014 but I should have some older ones from Garmin as well. Are those just too old?

Any idea what date the missing activities start? I can start another history sync, but I need to know what date to start requesting activities for.

There are two (so far) other Garmin users that have missing activities in this 2016-2014 range.
I’ve been speaking with Garmin support, and it sounds like Something Happened™ with old activities - it’s looking like 2016 or 2015 and older & I’m unsure how far back it goes; if it’s back to 2004, or just to e.g. 2013 or something.
They were able to manually fix a couple activities, but that process is way too much work for them to do for everyone. So, they’re looking into other options.

My oldest running activity was on 13Sep2011 and they are missing until the latter part of 2014 (those showing from 2014 are probably from Strava as it corresponds to when I started synching to it, but they are there).

Just saw your email about this and have now paused Strava and Map My Run and switched to Garmin.

I managed to get my Strava history (since 2004) over to Map My Run using RunGap and then into here. As such I won’t need to run the history into Garmin and that contains dupes from whenever used 2 devices.

As such if you a run a history sync from different providers could end up with dupes from the different sources or is it “clever” and checks for this?

Guess can only count running a street once even if have duplicates.

Yeah it checks for exact same start time & if another activity already exists it skips it

James, those two dates loaded! Thank you!

Just waiting on Strava to load history 9/29/2014-7/6/2019.

Hello! I was wondering how long it takes to sync all info from Garmin, or if there is a reason some may not go through. I started using Strava in 2016, and had originally used this site with that info. I’ve now paused Strava and have been using Garmin. I noticed that only one activity came in from 2015, but my Garmin data goes back to May 2015 (I checked Garmin Connect). I lived at a different house in 2015, so there are some routes that would be fun to see on my map (including some in the town I’m working on, as well as my old hometown).

There seems to be an issue within Garmin for activities older than 2016 which causes them to be incapable of syncing into CityStrides. I am working with Garmin support on this issue now.

I need your profile link to check if your history sync is still running. If it is, we will wait to see how far back it gets. If it is not, I’ll ask you for missing activity links in Garmin.

2 Likes

Thanks! Here is the profile link: Vanessa Junkin - CityStrides

Hiya, I joined a few days ago and am hooked already! Brilliant idea. I started syncing with Strava but then saw Garmin as an option so connected that and paused Strava. It’s got as far back as 30 April 2016 but now stopped. Presumably this is due to the issue you mentioned? I have Garmin activities back as far as 2009. My profile link is https://citystrides.com/users/19358

I was wondering how to tell if Garmin is still attempting the history sync? I have an issue with activities beyond 2016 not being synced.

Yeah, your account is still in there. Sorry I can’t provide that visibility in the status page - there’s still too much data to be able to add to that page. :frowning:

I’m a new user so I’ve been synching for some time. Now I reached 2016 and saw that the sync seems to work just fine until 2016-04-30. Next activity is 2016-04-26 and that hasn’t synched. I requested a sync of 2016-04-02 to see if that helped but nothing yet.
After that it has only synched one more activity with the date 2015-09-20. A pretty big gap.
There are at least 48 running activities between those dates.

Citystrides profile: Anders Svan - CityStrides
Garmin profile: Garmin Connect

I took Tim’s lead and am routing all Strava through MapMyRun via RunGap. Everything is loading smoothly! :grin:

If you have a Garmin, you should go directly from Garmin to CityStrides.
Is there something about that connection that doesn’t work as expected (outside of the known issue of old activities sometimes not importing)?

Going forward, everything is Garmin. I just had 5 years of Strava that hadn’t pulled over because I paused Strava to start Garmin. Once I confirm all data is uploaded, I’ll pause MapMyRun as well.

Yay for workarounds!

1 Like

I’ve had a similar experience since connecting my Garmin account with only a random handful of runs synced that are from before 2016-04-28. Also had to delete a significant number of duplicate activities before I paused Strava syncing. Also of note is that CS has imported only Strava activities without a GPS trace from January 2005 to December 2013. Since I started using a GPS watch in May 2009 and have only done four treadmill runs since May 2010 I’m missing a lot of runs, over 1000 in fact. I suspect I may have a Garmin history sync still running as several manual sync submissions haven’t worked.

My profile link is: Mike Newton - CityStrides

Thanks, Mike

Hi Jim, I noticed that yesterday my runs from Garmin and MapMyRun were combined so I knew the total of all that I have ran. Today, I noticed that the two accounts separted my runs so there are now runs starting from May 24 to present in Garmin Connect and the others remain in MapMyRun. I was trying to find out the percentage of the cities ran, but now they are located in two places. Would it be possible to combine them again so there is an accurate total of number of streets ran in each location and the percentage is also correct?

Thank you,

I apologize but I cannot understand the situation. Can you share links to help describe what you’re seeing?