Incomplete streets marked as complete (not the 90% issue)

I have a to-do/bug-report in my list:

When new nodes are created, the street needs to be recalculated for anyone who has completed it

I’m thinking that you did complete the street in Hans Westerback's activity on February 21, 2019 - CityStrides but then more nodes were added to the street, and your “completed” status remains.

1 Like

If what’s shown in CS is not correct, I think we can all agree that’s a problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep :point_up: two posts up - this is being taken Very Seriously™ and is of High Importance™ and We Have Our Best Minds On It™ (well…) :smiley:

2 Likes

I have something that will address this going out in the next release.
There’s new code at the point of adding new nodes to existing streets. It kicks off a new set of jobs that will check whether the street is still completed (for anyone who has already completed it) & if it’s not then it’ll unmark it. If it happens out that you’ve already completed the node that was added, the existing system will pick that up & re-mark the street as completed.

It won’t address existing streets that are improperly marked as complete - I’ll need to manually start that for people (unless I happen to think of a safe way to look through everyone’s data).

I’ll post again here after it’s out & I’ve reprocessed your accounts.

// @hans1

3 Likes

OK, the latest release - which includes a fix for this - is out now: Updates on April 30, 2021 (Release 88)

I’ll reprocess your accounts as soon as I can.

Today I noticed a similar thing.
A street was marked as completed after my run today while I have not run a section.
However the part I completed today probably contained a lot of nodes. So maybe I’m above the 90% that Denis mentioned.

The thing is that if I show the street, you still see red nodes.
However I can only find the street in “completed” streets, not in “incomplete streets”.

I would prefer a street is only marked as complete if all nodes were tackled. Or is that not the way it works?

The default ‘rule’ is completing 90% of a street’s nodes will mark that street as complete. If you want to operate on a 100% ‘rule’ then it sounds like you want to enable hard mode: User Setting: Hard Mode

Thanks for the quick response.
I guess that is only for supporters since I don’t see the option…

In some rare cases, the issue remains. This street is marked as completed in the nested city after multiple updates while I only have 89% (and hard mode enabled). It is marked as incomplete in the parent city.

My current guess is that the street is previously completed … a city update runs that adds nodes to the street … and my code does not look to see if any streets should be un-marked as complete. I’ll put that on my to-do list.

I searched around for Grenzweg (sharing links makes debugging much much easier for me) and found that it had 23 new nodes created in the March update. That seems to fall in line with my guess.

Manually running the street validation code correctly un-marked it as complete, so I queued up that job for all your streets.

Hi @JamesChevalier , Here’s another effect of that same issue, I think.
The street shows as incomplete in my city view but it doesn’t affect my 100% completion of the city.
It’s amusing to see I’m in second place now for the city while it shows I have 100%.
Kransackerweg - CityStrides
To solve it I think I could mark and unmark complete manually. But I didn’t, just to show you this.

Thanks James.
For 10 says, nothing happened, but last night, I lost 100% completion in 6 proper cities and 1 nested city within a few hours. :sweat_smile: 2 more nested cities will follow since there are now new nodes in the parent city.
Some were normal updates but in most cases, the now incomplete streets were not updated so I guess it has to do with the re-processing.

I have already caught 4 streets today and I have planned 6 new runs with the route builder to get the rest until the end of June.

Did you previously have this street in your completed list?
I’m trying to figure out if it was previously complete & updated to make it incomplete (e.g. more nodes added that you haven’t run by) … or if it’s a new street that went directly to your incomplete list (this looks like it is the case, but I’d like to be certain).

At first I thought that nodes where added, because I’ve already ran part of this street.
But indeed, it turns out this is a newly added street.
Latest CS city update of the fifth of May.

Alright, I’ve got code in there now that will recalculate city progress when adding new streets … then recalculate progress again after the new nodes are added & processed. So during the city update, percentages may fluctuate. I’m really hoping that this isn’t noticeable since the updates are running pretty fast now.

@dbafounta I’m unsure if you’re reporting further issues with streets being marked as incomplete even though they are complete … or if you’re just noting that the updates are adding to areas where you haven’t run yet.

I did not report a new issue. I rather tried to give you some non-technical user feedback about delayed updates at the street level while hoping that the issue is fixed now.

And I was not clear enough if you didn’t understand that the incomplete streets appeared in places I had run extensively. I am indeed talking of cities where I was at 100%.

The streets are incomplete but they only appeared in my list of incomplete streets on May 7th and that even though these streets were not updated. It always happen that the maps are improved even if the streets are not new IRL, but it’s frustrating for sure, and when it’s because of a CS-issue, it becomes one of the rare moments when I am not in love with CS anymore. In at least one case, I could have run several streets the last time I was in the area if CS had marked the streets as incomplete at the time.

Example:

This street last appeared in the city updates on April 1st, while I was in this remote area on April 6th to get back to 100% for the city. Unfortunately, this street was (wrongly) in my list of completed streets until May 7th although it must have been incomplete before (since the street was neither updated in OSM nor updated in CS in the last month).

I hope the OSM edits now appear reliably on CS with the next update. My account should be up-to-date.At least I hope so. I am not sure about other accounts.

In general, the increased update frequency is a great help because we know faster when something change in OSM.

OK, I think I’m following now. What I’m hoping is that:

• City updates prior to ~May 7th left some streets incorrectly marked as complete
  • City updates on/after ~May 7th correctly mark those streets as incomplete

I’m going to fully re-validated all your completed streets. I think this should reduce your total number of completed streets by a little bit (streets in any of the cities that haven’t been updated since ~May 7th). After this validation is complete, I expect that further city updates will not incorrectly leave streets marked as complete. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Today, I again discovered incomplete streets in 2 different cities that do not appear in my lists of incomplete streets OR that did not lead to a corresponding drop in the city percentage (which is how I usually spot them).

In this city, CS said that I have completed 100% of the streets AND that I have 1 incomplete street:
Denis Bafounta is running Marzahn-Hellersdorf, Berlin - CityStrides

In this other city, I have 2 incomplete streets but the 2nd one appear in the list of completed streets although I only have 71% (5 out 7 notes):
Denis Bafounta is running Woltersdorf, Brandenburg - CityStrides

Gestell y - CityStrides

I may run there tonight, so it will solve the problem but I guess you still want to understand what happened.

Thanks for sharing the details … It seems like there are still three outstanding issues around city updates (along with my theory on why)

• overall city percentage isn’t always updated - a city might be listed as 100% but there is an incomplete street
    • likely related to the next two issues, the street percentages are being updated, but these updates are not affecting the city percentages
  • complete streets marked as incomplete
    • maybe data is being updated … the streets are un-marked as complete … and the reprocessing isn’t re-marking it as complete
  • incomplete streets marked as complete
    • maybe nodes are being deleted … the streets are being marked as complete because of that … then the nodes are being recreated & the street is not being unmarked as complete

The nature of OSM updates (where an “update” might actually be a delete/create) and the multi-threaded processing that I have currently set up, are both working together to cause some odd data display issues.
I’ve jotted down a pile of notes around this issue, and I intend to take a closer look at the beginning of July.