Help adding Gaborone in OSM

Hi! Is there anyone who can please assist in adding Gaborone to OSM which is the capital city of Botswana. It looks like it does not exist as a city in OSM. Thank you.

Yeah, this is disappointing. It exists in OSM as a node: Node: ‪Gaborone‬ (‪30670040‬) | OpenStreetMap

It looks like there are 10 Districts in Botswana:

• South-East District, which exists in OSM Relation: ‪South-East District‬ (‪270332‬) | OpenStreetMap but does not contain any cities (I checked admin levels 5-10)
  • Kgatleng District
  • North-East District
  • Central District
  • Ghanzi District
  • Kweneng District
  • Southern District
  • Kgalagadi District
  • North-West District
  • Chobe District

I searched for admin level 8 throughout all of Botswana and only found Relation: ‪Gweta‬ (‪9330375‬) | OpenStreetMap

It doesn’t seem reasonable to import the Districts as cites. Those definitely look like they should exist within CityStrides at the Region level.

Thank you James for doing all that research. Yes those are the 10 districts or regions we have. This is incredibly disappointing! I’ll continue to run every street though. I love this whole idea and hope Botswana and Gaborone in particular will soon be recognized.

I don’t know if this is helpful or not, but I could add all of those districts as Regions in CityStrides and then add each region as a city within itself.

For example we’d have the country Botswana, with a region South-East District, which then contained a city also named South-East District.

Personally, I don’t like this approach because the district is huge (difficult to complete) and the data is technically wrong … but … if it’s enough to help you enjoy CityStrides until OpenStreetMap is updated properly, then that seems like a nice thing to do.

Let me know what you think.

I agree with you - I really wouldn’t want you do add regions as cities. These regions are huge, some probably as big as some countries, LOL. And as you say it would be technically wrong. At least I’m able to see what runs I’ve done and although streets are not labeled, I’ve been able to zoom into certain areas in my neighbourhood and know what streets I’m missing. So maybe let’s leave it for now. What’s amazing is that the place you listed is recognized Gweta is a relatively unknown village. I’d be curious to know how they got on! Maybe there was some work going on there that necessitated that. Thanks so much for your help!

2 Likes