Global Running Day landing page

That’s the idea that I didn’t have time to implement - effectively the same approach as the Advanced LifeMap that supporters get, with limited/no interactivity. During the challenge, I might even be able to update it regularly.

Paired with this, I’m also trying to think through how account privacy factors in…
If I don’t associate any user data to the displayed activities, and delay creating the initial view until after 100(?) activities are saved, then it seems safe to show everything on the global map.
Similarly, with the ‘top 5’ list, I opted not to include private accounts in there but I don’t really see a reason to exclude them since I’m not providing any way to view their activity. I ended up not including private accounts because of my use of the “Completely private” phrasing on the settings page.
I’ll always err on the side of privacy, but I do think it’s worth thinking through as I build more features (Global Running Day, the monthly AMSAPs, Nodevember, and hopefully many more)

1 Like

Thanks, as always, James! For whatever it matters I ended up completing 35 streets yesterday. Perhaps a couple of them had been progressed on previous days, but the majority were not. I stayed in areas I had not been in much on purpose, so I am not sure what happened there. I am not stressing for me… I know my number. I just wanted to let you know in case you thought the inconsistency warranted investigation. :slight_smile:

Thanks for following up … I noticed that your two later activities didn’t have any progress data :thinking:
I’ve reprocessed them, but I still don’t know why they weren’t calculated in the first place

Thanks, James! No idea. Sometimes I think my entire electronic footprint exists in the middle of a black hole. Occasionally the temptation to go full luddite is strong, and I think my computer knows and resents such thoughts.

1 Like

Black Whole GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 Like

EXACTLY! :rofl:

Blockquote Can you share a screenshot?

Note that I didn’t run on June 1, so it is completely correct that I don’t have any stats for that challenge.

:laughing: :rofl:
I forgot I even had that feature
:person_facepalming:
It took me a moment to realize what you were seeing, because I was so focused on the “0 streets” … didn’t realize until I scrolled back up and noticed you mentioning the map. :grimacing:

At least that’s just a display issue. I’ll look into cleaning that up…

:laughing: I know the feeling, but I definitely think I Did Something™ because if I count unique users with activities from the 1st I’m seeing counts that are almost double what was calculated day-of.
There’s definitely going to be an increase, with new signups after the 1st, but not at this scale. :thinking:

I think I have some time-zone work to do before the next Global Running Day :sweat:

Update: My counting today was based on different info … I was counting from the activities in general → more than 13k people participated … the counts for the page itself were based on completed streets → just over 7k people participated and succeeded in some capacity

3 Likes