Boundary striders?

So I saw a chap on Twitter last night who after completing his every street challenge then ran the entire boundary of his city. Sticking to roads inside the city. I think I might try the same. Has anybody else tried it? Just mapped it out roughly using the ace new route plan tool, for me it’s about 38 miles

1 Like

Interesting, I live on an island, Lidingö in Sweden. I have a plan to run as close to the shoreline as possible, that will include a lot of trails and cycleways, but I estimate it to be a marathon distance. Running only streets instead would be something to try also!

2 Likes

Thinking about this too, and a running club in my city has already mapped it all out and has been trialling it over the past few months so there’s a ready made route for me!

Only a wee 68 miles too - easy! https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1275515?units=miles

2 Likes

Cool idea.

I think if I had a new, never strided city, I would start by doing this!

I did this in spring 2020 in Providence, RI. With various friends and relatives, I walked as close as I could to the perimeter of Providence and recorded on Strava. When I joined Citystrides in 2022, It pulled in the all the boundary walks. I did some research into the history of walking the boundaries of one’s place—see Beating of the Bounds in England, cowboys walking the line in the American West, etc. You see your place from a new perspective. Do it!

1 Like

Why just the city ? Do as Aaron Fitzsenry and run the boundary of a state :grinning:

I love Aaron’s lifemap so much. I asked if he was not allowed to leave the state. :grinning:

Also cool to just see the Boston Marathon route up there.

Looks like this would be only be about 18 miles for Cambridge MA. The route is surprisingly different depending on whether one tries to stay within the city at all times, to surround the city (i.e. never cross inside the border), or tries to stay as close to the border as possible.

I might have to try it during my next marathon training cycle!

Ha. Because there’s only one Aaron Fitzsenry!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but technically speaking, if you run every street in a city, you have run every street that would make up the boundary?

Maybe for those in large cities, this would be a starting point?

States would be different, as you have to run the streets in the cities that would bring to close to the border. Then you have to hope for contiguous cities in CityStrides.

@hans1 I ran a shoreline in FL, and it had me in the Gulf of Mexico!

Note: This would be a hard city to run the border, or even swim: St. Pete Beach, Florida - CityStrides

Sarah, that’s awesome, and you would have passed right by my house! Someone once told me that all of our driveways are connected, and for some reason I’ve always found that kinda nice.

Henrik and Tim, what started as half a joke has become one hell of a hobby!

1 Like