Ability to see un-run nodes on completed streets?

Strava’s Heatmappers Anonymous group were discussing the idea of total completion, and how it’s difficult to see nodes that have not been run that are for streets that you have completed.

Do you find this to be an issue?

Would you like a better way to view un-run nodes on completed streets? Is clicking through each street, one at a time, to see the red (un-run)/green (run) markers enough?

1 Like

Is this the scenario when percentage of nodes greater than 90% but less than 100%? Sometimes there also can be false positives on completion when nodes are oddly placed or unevenly spaced out.

I kept track of such streets manually under a “unsatisfactory completion” header. I like the idea of total completion as the road isn’t really done until it is ALL done. I never considered it a big issue as the number of streets that fell into this category generally stayed pretty low.

In terms of improving the viewing of un-run nodes, it would be nice to sort by the percentage of completion. I wouldn’t think it is a priority.

I don’t think this is a priority either. Total completion is sometimes difficult or impossible to achieve because of issues with the dataset such as nodes being located in the wrong place. Or having bad GPS data in an area with tall buildings and missing one node. That said, I’m guessing it wouldn’t be that hard to code in the % completed to the list of streets completed under a city, but since I don’t (usually) chase 100% completed, it doesn’t really matter.

Hi James,

Wondering if you can add an option or setting that would require that ALL nodes be complete to 100 %? I really don’t need to see the individual nodes, or sort by % complete, but I’d definitely prefer a “strict mode” where it requires that every single node be covered.

My before last activity was particularly bad, large sections are missing but streets were marked as complete. With Vancouver having so many streets, I’ll never find these again unless you add a missing nodes view, or I manually document every ‘false completion’.

Cheers!

Mitch

2 Likes

I have not been paying much attention to the completed streets honestly. I just look at the map of my city and plan routes to hit all the streets that are not complete, in the sense of there is a line that I have run down 100% the length of the street.

1 Like

Hi James,

Is there any chance we can have a view of all the nodes in a particular city (green for completed and red for not complete) and not just one street at a time? You can call this the Pac-Man view. :wink:

Cheers!
Duran

7 Likes

I don’t see this to be all that important. I would rather see an interactive tool where you define a rectangular box (like this: Drawing Tools  |  Maps JavaScript API  |  Google Developers) and it will show the run and not-run nodes within that rectangle. This would help a lot when planning a new run since it is not always obvious where OpenStreetMaps objects lie.

3 Likes

I’m “new” in CityStrides, and even 5 years of this topic, I like a easy way to find the red nodes in complete streets.

Until there will be the 100% option to complete the streets, a new tab with something like “complete between 90 and 100%” can be interesting for some like me who want complete all streets at 100%

2 Likes

I think this fits into an idea that has been floated in different ways, so if you haven’t already you can up-vote this idea:

3 Likes

It looks like city data update in the last couple of days. One of my roads shows 99.87% is now marked as incomplete. Not sure if this is just a processing issue where it should be considered complete at that percentage. There are few of these examples that popped up for me after this last update.

I think this feature would actually be helpful for people considering “Hard Mode” as you can see and clear nodes out before switching if you like. As it stands I have no idea if I missed nodes but did just enough to clear out a street. Having some way of sorting or filtering completed roads for a city with missed nodes seems useful to me. Not sure if others agree or not.