A nested cities tab

I like that nested cities state their parent city on their profile pages
Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 09.33.14
Would it be possible to have the reverse somewhere on the parent city page
Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 09.32.57
My suggestion would be as another tab next to Striders, this would allow users to see their/other users nested city percentages without having to go to looking through the profile pages.

Yeah, it’s possible & something I plan on adding.
I’m not sure how I’m going to design the UI, yet. I also like the tab idea, but there are some instances where there’s not enough space to display the number and the word - adding another tab will just add to that issue.
I’m slightly wary of going to an “icon-only” interface, because that can be confusing for some people.

:musical_note: I wish I was a designer :notes:

Reviving this. I would like some way to better differentiate nested cities from standalone ones on the Cities tab. As is, the only way you know one is a nested city from another is on the page for it. I think if it could be color coded or with some other signifier that would be clearer. Whether that involves a separate tab or something else…

Sounds good. I can easily add an indicator in the list.
It would be a bit more work, but possible to also identify cities that contain nested cities.

1 Like

Is there some criteria that causes some cities to be considered nested and others not?

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada only seems to have 3 nested cities as per CityStrides: (Old) Ottawa, Vanier, and Rockcliffe Park.

I don’t understand why the following cities aren’t also considered as being nested cities within Ottawa, Ontario Canada: Kanata, Goulbourn, Nepean, Gloucester, Cumberland, etc.

They all seem to fall within the CityStrides boundaries of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

2 Likes

If I added cities after a parent city, and nobody noted that it was nested in the missing city sheet, then it’s very likely I added them and moved on with my day.

I’ve just updated the nested city list for Ottawa. It added the cities you listed and some more.

1 Like