Hi Nodds,
It looks like the cities in Scotland are at level 6:
Edinburgh: Relation: ‪City of Edinburgh‬ (‪1920901‬) | OpenStreetMap
Glasgow: Relation: ‪Glasgow City‬ (‪1906767‬) | OpenStreetMap
Aberdeen: Relation: ‪Aberdeen City‬ (‪1900654‬) | OpenStreetMap
Dundee: Relation: ‪Dundee City‬ (‪1921173‬) | OpenStreetMap
Stirling: Relation: ‪Stirling‬ (‪1905258‬) | OpenStreetMap
Perth: Relation: ‪Perth and Kinross‬ (‪1915429‬) | OpenStreetMap
Inverness: I can’t find a city boundary for Inverness. The level 6 boundary surrounding it is for Highland, but it’s a big area https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1433249

A lot of the towns and cities seem to be admin level 6 only, so large counties comprising multiple towns and villages.
Falkirk: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1433249
Dunfermline: the town is at Way: ‪Dunfermline‬ (‪459086413‬) | OpenStreetMap - however it’s a way, rather than a boundary in OSM - I’m not sure if that means it can’t be extracted with all its streets or not? I’m not sure, but I think that James is pulling the data for towns from within boundary lines, and the enclosing boundary for Dunfermline is the county of Fife at admin level 6 , which includes loads of other boundaries Relation: ‪Fife‬ (‪1905841‬) | OpenStreetMap
Hamilton: within South Lanarkshire county - Relation: ‪South Lanarkshire‬ (‪1921241‬) | OpenStreetMap
Glenrothes: also within Fife

I’m inclined to think that the OSM town boundary data is a bit variable across Scotland, but I’m not sure enough of my OSM skills to be sure of that.

Hi James,

I’m wondering about Northern Ireland: your google docs list of countries says that you’ve used admin level 9 for Northern Ireland. I’m not sure what admin level 9 is extracting, but I’m not sure it’s right - I can’t actually find any Northern Irish towns, cities or wards by searching in CityStrides. Looking at OSM, it seems to be either admin level 10 boundaries or admin level 6 (large counties). I’d personally be inclined to prioritise the admin level 10 boundaries, because the level 6 ones are counties consisting of multiple towns/villages.

Ireland (Republic of Ireland) does use admin level 9 (although Dublin is at level 7), but as far as I can see it doesn’t continue on into Northern Ireland.

Hi, apologies I’m not sure if this is still work in progress - and all the quirks need to be sorted before the UK is full ‘re-processed’ - but just wanted to flag Jessp’s post here (the one I’m replying to). From my purely selfish perspective would be great to have these level 6 cities added as and when it’s prudent to do so. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Chris