Street has zero nodes

I finished Amsterdam/Netherlands on 14 aug 2020 s far as possible
The figures were 14 aug 2020
99,93% run; 4711 (total), 37 (flagged, not possible); 8 (not yet run due to construction work)
The figures 1 dec 2020) are:
97,96% run; 4687 (total), ? flagged; 95 not run that is: 95-8=87 streets with the zero node problem
Something else: total number of streets decreased grom 4711 to 4687
With a lot of building going on I think that is very strange

Noord-Holland, Nederland
Last updated from OSM: 2020-10-20

2 Likes

There are many reasons the number of streets could go down. The most obvious is that when many cities were first imported into City Strides, streets outside of the city limits were included. When the cities were updated, streets (nodes) outside the city were excluded. This reduces the number of streets in many cases.

The other one has to do with corrections to Open Street Map. The identification of streets here depends on the street name being identical for all of the nodes. It’s not uncommon for a street to have an abbreviation in some sections and the whole word spelled out in the other. This would end up with two streets. Then, after it’s corrected in OSM, the next update reduces the number of streets by one.

In sure there are other scenarios which would reduce the number of streets. These are just the first two I could think of.

Yeah, i run in my region and every time i see a street/road/alley in that part and it is inaccessible: I go for access=private and in the next update that is one street less in the streetcount.

3 Likes

@JamesChevalier I noticed a street with no nodes and suspect a bug for N 59th street in Wauwatosa. WI. On November 27, I walked on the street within the city and did not register as completed. I can also look in OSM in case someone made any changes.

Thank you

The OSM updates seemed to have slowed down. Is there a way to speed this up for a specific city? I’m waiting for Haarlemmermeer in NL to get updated. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Some more from Edinburgh, updated 2020-10-19.

Some of these appear to be multiple entries in OpenStreet, with parts of streets rather than the whole. I wonder whether this is somehow related?

A possible reason for some of these having no nodes on the CityStreet platform may be that they are classed as minor/unclassified roads, Pedestrian areas or “Living Streets” in OpenStreet. Are these categories catered for in the code @JamesChevalier ?

1 Like

When the next refresh is done from the OSM data this problem may go away. I’ve seen conversation in other threads that there were some changes made to address the zero nodes problem and that these take effect when the city is refreshed from the OSM data.

1 Like

I just found some zero-node streets in Camden, London, UK: (Last updated from OSM: 2020-10-20)
Tileyard Road (there seem to be nodes in Islington) CityStrides
Speedy Place CityStrides
Wilkins Terrace streets/15629626
Wiblin Mews streets/15629624
Spedan Close streets/10742502

I see the OSM update is from 20 okt 2020. Is there a timewindow when this city is updated from OSM ?

I am also still waiting for a city to get updated. Last import was also 20th Oct. I use another city in my list as a reference. That one was updated last on 12th Oct so I guess we need to be patient for a bit longer… :man_shrugging:

No timewindow has ever been said. Several have speculated monthly, perhaps only for cities with (recently) active striders in them… But the real answer is (I think) we don’t know.

I also recall reading that some kinks are being worked out the update code, so that may be slowing things.

October 20 was also my primary city’s last update too.

The last update in my city took less than a month (25th Sept - 20th Oct). I guess that set the expectation. I know that since then the zero-node issue got fixed, this seems to be the reason it slowed down. It would still be nice if we could trigger City updates ourselves. None of us needs the whole world updated. A few 100’s cities may make everybody happy. Or, if only the cities with zero-nodes could be updated first? :man_shrugging:.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all! :+1:

2 Likes

Hi - I was able to complete 99.8% of Victoria, BC, Canada but there is one street called “Boat Ramp” which I can not find. When I search for it, the map goes blue and takes me to the middle of the ocean. Can this street be eliminated from the necessary streets to complete the city of Victoria? Thanks for any assistance with this.

Yeah, there was an issue - up until very recently - that could allow the city updates to create streets that have zero nodes. One of the lengthy threads in the forum about this is Street has zero nodes and I think there are a few others. I’m going to merge this post into that thread, in an attempt to keep info together (it can be quite difficult to find useful info in this forum sometimes).

The next update should resolve that issue, though I’m not sure how frequently cities get updated just yet.

1 Like

An update has corrected all my 0 node streets, yey! I now have 24 new streets to run in my city to get back to 100%. Thanks James!

3 Likes

Brilliant! Well done!

1 Like

29 jan 2021 Amsterdam is updated from OSM and the zero nodes streets have disappeared.
Hurray!

But there is a tiny thing, I do not understand the arithmatics: it says 4662 streets of 4695 complete: that would be 99,297… or 99,3 % but citystrides says 99,40 where comes the difference from :slight_smile:

ugh, I didn’t create a post in #announcements for my release on the 30th - that’s the day that I actually fixed the percentage issue.

Right now, the city record for Amsterdam thinks there are 4695 streets while there are actually only 4690. That’s why your percentage is higher - that code was doing 4662/4690.

I’ve manually reset the street count on that city, so now the numbers make sense again. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I am happy now :slight_smile:

I Have looked at the streets which I didn’t run according to OSM.
I mIssed 1 node and 1 street
2 are new
3 are inaccessable
23 streets the are building and not accessable at the moment
1 street I am not sure
I have the not accesable put down as marked manual for the moment

so I am nearing 100 % now bu I doubt if I will ever reach it.
O well, a 9,94 wouldn’t be a bad number as a schoolnumber for any subject haha

1 Like