Remove Streets that don't exist in my town

@david.krulewich As I recall, @JamesChevalier is using Mapbox only for the visual (displayed) map, not the map used for node detection. This initially confused me, as I saw my OSM edits appear on CS pages, yet the node data, and my collection of said nodes, remained unsuccessful.

However, since James has rolled out the periodic update code, my OSM edits (mostly new streets and streets that are actually private), the missing and “unobtainable” nodes I have found, are now correct in CS.

If you are close to 100% for a city, you might consider adding it to the update requests mentioned in this thread: Now Testing: City street/node updates

PS. Interesting idea about un-marking a street as manually complete. I did a quick search, and it looks like it has been requested. Perhaps with OSM updates rolling out, this feature may become more useful? View "marked as complete"-streets and ability to unmark them

PPS. I did not read the whole of the request thread, but I got the jist that you can un-mark streets as manually complete.

2 Likes

Yep & that’ll be visually apparent when viewing the street page - instead of noting it as “Manually” completed it’ll display the date of the activity that completed it

Yep, Mapbox is just a visual map

No need - I’m running the update process against all active cities

Actually, that’s done: View "marked as complete"-streets and ability to unmark them - #6 by JamesChevalier I just hadn’t closed the topic yet.

3 Likes

James, you are fast!

1 Like

What do you mean by this? Did you first update in Mapbox and then later realized you only needed to update in OSM?

Can you advise on ETA for Fairfield? I see updates made my another use in OSM at least 2 months old but the node has not came down from CS

Mapbox gets its data from OSM.
Eric made an edit in OSM, which was picked up in the UI that Mapbox provides but was not picked up by CityStrides (so his progress didn’t change on any streets/cities).

I can’t, sorry. I’m still learning how this will go. Keep an eye on Now Testing: City street/node updates as I learn more.

1 Like

Fair enough. I am happy to pay a ‘ransom’ to prioritize my town though! I want to know it works for the updates I just made and then I will make the effort to update on OSM each time I see something that needs to be adjusted and you will then get my bigger monthly supporter commitments!!

1 Like

:laughing: :sweat_smile: holding city updates ‘ransom’ :grimacing:
I just manually added Fairfield to the update queue. I have no idea how long it’ll take to update, but I’d guess it’ll be closer to ‘today’ than not - in the last hour, it’s mostly been running at 1-3/minute but there are some moments of 15/minute. There were ~35 cities in the queue ahead of it, so hopefully it gets updated quickly. :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I Just finished all my updates so hopefully they all come through! Much appreciated, James.

I knew the CS relation with OSM, but not Mapbox. But Mapbox also uses OSM. So Mapbox updated it’s map, which CS displayed… But CS displayed only the graphic, at the time CS was not updating the street database (like it is now).

PS. I’ve never even contemplated updates to Mapbox. :slight_smile:

Hi, my local towns just got a big update and all of the changes I made in OSM went through. In nearly all cases CS has made the change I was hoping for but there are two cases where there is an error.

One is Pettigrew Road in Kittery Maine (Pettigrew Road in Kittery, Maine - CityStrides). This was originally mapped as a road that connected to different streets, but the reality is that Pettigrew turned and dead ended, and from the otherside it was a private drive way and the roads do not connect there is a giant house between them. So I fixed it on OSM and it updated in CS, but the nodes did not update.

The next is Cate Street in Portsmouth New Hampshire (Cate Street in Portsmouth, New Hampshire - CityStrides). In this case the street moved and the former location is now fenced off and a construction area for some new condos. The street and new walkway have updated, but the nodes did not move.

I had made about 30 changes, and so far these are the only two I have flagged where CS’s nodes did not also update.

(Did I post this in the right spot?)

Ironic because I see from the updates James just sent through, the Nodes from the updates I made in OSM have been updated in CS but not the map itself!

Ok @JamesChevalier, riddle me this. All the updates have come through and my red nodes have turned green, however they are still listed as manually completed and if I unmark as manually, they show uncompleted. What’s a guy to do?

1 Like

Very good question. I’m curious to see the answer.

The system does go back and reprocess manually completed streets, so I would expect those to switch over. How long did you wait after noticing the nodes were marked as complete?

Yes, for some amount of time - but these unmarked streets are reprocessed, similar to the global update code - so they should also eventually be updated (marked as complete by the last activity to reach 90% of its nodes).

A little bit of waiting is involved, but most of the queues have been pretty speedy lately - so I wouldn’t expect it to take that long.
It helps me to have links to a street or two that you think should be completed & a link for an activity that should have completed it. It’s easiest when there’s a single activity that completes the street in one go, but that’s not too common for these manually completed streets.

1 Like

Pettigrew Road was updated 11 days ago: Way: ‪Pettigrew Road‬ (‪11533903‬) | OpenStreetMap
Cate Street was updated 14 days ago: Way: ‪Cate Street‬ (‪18865941‬) | OpenStreetMap

The global update code hasn’t run against Kittery, yet. When it runs, these changes will be brought into CityStrides.

1 Like

If you like the idea of updates, check out (and perhaps vote), on this idea: Last update date for cities

1 Like

It’s been 3 days since you ran the update I believe…I wonder if it’s possible you ran the update before OSM processed all my changes. Regardless you can see 17/20 of my manually completed streets have 100% green nodes now. Here is an example: CityStrides
and here is the activity in which I completed that street: David Krulewich's activity on September 27, 2020 - CityStrides

Here is another street with a shorter activity for good measure: Still Meadow - CityStrides
David Krulewich's activity on September 23, 2020 - CityStrides

Confirming I have voted for this. Would be very beneficial in understanding the impact of Striders changes in OSM on their CS activities.

1 Like

That’s an ironic statement, because the streets I am marking as manually completed are almost entirely comprised of dead ends with only 1 or 2 nodes and the street length is simply too long and the node falls in a private driveway so all of mine are completed in a single activity.