Reasons to Flag

There was a good question in a flagged streets to be deleted thread that I think is worth sussing out.

Here are my main priorities for flagging an object,

1. Is it safe? No highways, waterways, railways, airports, restricted zones
  2. Is it trespassing?
  3. Is it a building? Are the nodes interior or along the street
  4. Is it a random shape or glitch? Often in Parks, specific fields might manifest

Sometimes a flagged street will have one node that’s inconvenient, I’ll disagree with the flag because it’s mostly runnable, and in my mind is better left to be completed manually.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Yeah, when I’m reviewing flagged streets I’m basically asking the question “Is this a street?” (where I’d consider a highway not a street for our purposes).
The current flagging system is for deletion only. The street modification system is on its way. I’m hoping to build something slightly different for that - more of a “suggest these changes” interface where you can move Nodes around on the map and add more Nodes if needed.

I’m currenly skipping over flagged streets that are visibly streets - I’m not looking into whether they’re private or have some other legitimate reason to be deleted from the site. For those, I’m holding off to see if many people flag it - that could be a good indicator that it should be removed.

2 Likes

Many “streets” are clearly no streets and can safely be deleted, like the highways waterways et cetera.
With thousands of Striders and hundredthousands of streets, there will always be streets that people will disagree on whether they should be set to manually completed and why not.
That is why I am suggesting to keep two scores, one with manually completed streets, that is your own to decide which streets you put to manually completed. The second score without manually completed streets that you can compare with your friends and have a friendly competition for with striders in your city.
This might be less of a programming effort for James as well but I don’t know that, since I am not a programmer, just a simple runner.

Things I flag:
Railway lines, rivers, etc
Buildings, shops, businesses, etc.
Motorways
Schools

What are people’s feelings on things like London Underground lines, which are technically possible to complete in central London boroughs because they run beneath accessible roads, but obviously aren’t actually runnable?

Of course each visitor here can make his own rules in the game. For me it’s all public accessible and save to run streets. So no Paths, trails, backyard entry ways, rivers, borders, parks. My personal guideline is the lifemap. I want to cover each street/road in all cities in my region. period. If someone wants to virtually run undergrounds, why not?

but i gues the line drawn here is for James, and the whole intent was running streets in a city, so no buildings, railways, cemetaries, churches, private stuff, highways, etc.

2 Likes

What is the best/preferred way to deal with nodes that are “out of bounds” on streets that may be legitimate? Flagging the entire street does not seem right. Can you delete a single node? I have come across a street that is partially public and partially on private (CSX railroad) property. Another nodes are inaccessible extensions of legit streets.

Thoughts?

1 Like

The current flagging system is for deletion only. The street modification system is on its way. I’m hoping to build something slightly different for that - more of a “suggest these changes” interface where you can move Nodes around on the map and add more Nodes if needed.

I’ve ran into many streets in my area that start out as a street, then I hit their driveway gate. Yet, there are nodes beyond where I can legally answer. A node flagging function could be very useful for all of the private streets around me.

2 Likes

Same here. To get all the nodes, I would have to be trespassing.
Like there are some transport companies in the neighborhood, that have large asphalted areas behind a fence. I would probably be caught on video if I tried to run them a Sunday morning :slight_smile: