OSM Update Time Tracking

Seen a couple of people post their OSM update times in various threads that were addressing other items and kind of get lost. Thought I’d create new thread to try and aggregate when users notice their city updates so others can get a sense of how long to wait.

Durham, NC, USA | Updated Nov. 3rd, 2020 and then again Feb. 10th, 2021. 100 days between updates (including day of newest update). Went from 4157 streets to 4210. There are currently 429 striders (in case the density of users has any weight).

1 Like

This would work too: Update history on a city's page

I wish I had been better at manual tracking!

Nope. It takes a simplistic approach of only updating cities which have at least 1 runner (60,732 right now), sorted by when they were last updated.

Most cities update pretty quickly, but I have seen some take over 7 hours - it depends on how big they are. According to my stats, it updated 11.2k cities in the last 7 days.
You probably should not do any calculations based on the ‘last updated’ date displayed on the site unless that date is at least mid January. That’s when the system became stable & accurate enough to run continuously on its own.

1 Like

Maybe you could add those city update statistics to the status page?

1 Like

Extrapolating from your numbers, then most cities should see updates approximately every 5-6 weeks going forward.

The rough maths*
61k (~count of current cities) / 11.2k (~ count of cities processed in last week) = 5.4 weeks

*This doesn’t account for any growth in cities or potential slowdowns in processing large cities.

1 Like

My home region updated yesterday after previously updating on Jan 4th so that is 5.6 weeks so fits perfectly into your rough numbers

1 Like

Something like this (idea): Update history on a city's page #shamelessplug

Edit: Forgot I already posted that ^^^, but will leave for Pedro.

This is slightly different. Having a list of dates when the city was updates on that city’s page is incredibly useful! I wanted to add to that and have the same graphs we have for delay in processing activities, but for cities: number of cities that will be updated, time taken processing, etc…

1 Like

I have been receiving e-mail notifications for OSM updates in two cities, Calgary (9,492 streets) and Turner Valley (63 streets) since the beginning of this year. Compiling when notifications went out for these two very different sized cities supports @Marty’s estimates of 5-6 weeks.

(written to provide context for this post)

1 Like

I don’t know how useful that average is per se, city updates have been happening more frequently than at the start of the year. I’d just look at the last update as the best indication. The city updates approach is just a long cyclic queue as far as I have been able to tell: a city is taken from the front of the queue, updated, and added to the very back of the queue. Repeat forever.

If anything, the best indication of how long to wait for your city to update is just knowing how long it took a recently updated city.

(I am also 90% sure that Calgary just did not have something that triggered an update email in its June update for your sheet, rather than it actually having been 64 days between updates)

1 Like