OSM edits not making it into CityStrides

I am making comments in OSM and have made a few simple edits to the map of my city. I can see that CityStrides last updated the OSM map in April 2021. How often is this done? (I’m about 90% done with Peoria and trying to get ALL the nodes like a crazy person.)
Thanks,
Jennifer

@pedestriansinpeoria OSM updates seem to be coming in to CityStrides about every 6 weeks. So any amendments you’ve made to OSM since April should appear in early to mid June.
If you’ve made a comment in OSM (but not a change) then I’d guess it is unlikely that a change will have been made. You’re relying on another random person spotting your comment, agreeing, and taking the effort to make the change.
I was nervous about updating OSM at first, but generally now just get on with it. I cross check what I’ve seen in real life, how the lines/points/areas match the OSM aerial image, Google aerial views, Google streetview and also the maps held by the local council (which are publicly available on the internet in the UK). Google aerial images are usually more up to date than the OSM aerial views.
When I got into the 90’s for my city I made adjustments in OSM (eg changing a gated street to private) and also manually completed them in OSM. Then I could keep a clear view of what I actually had left. Once OSM is imported to CS then the manual completions become irrelevant and disappear.
Enjoy!

1 Like

You make a good point about comments in OSM being ineffective. I’ve been thinking it might be possible to leverage this community to fix up mapping issues. Maybe a dedicated thread where people can post their issue with a screenshot (or some other template)? That way anyone who fancies it can fix it and mark it solved with the checkmark thing. A CS Maproulette of sorts…

1 Like

The best person to make OSM updates is the person that finds the issue. I do updates to OSM as soon as I find something that needs changing. Most often is it streets with a non walking sign, roads on private property and streets closed off with gates. My GPS track is the best way to see exactly where the pedestrian access should be removed, gate added etc.

4 Likes

Of course that would be ideal, I do the same. The suggestion would be for edits where the person finding the issue can’t or doesn’t want to do it themselves and where the alternative is that no update is made.

2 Likes

check out the wiki in htis forum, under categories

2 Likes

Thanks! I have now made a couple of easy edits, and have made a “friend” who lives in my area and has been making edits since 2007. Hopefully that will help some nodes disappear that are inaccessible.

But reading through this thread, I’m unclear as to whether editing in OSM will help that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you update OSM then within 5-6 weeks your changes will get sucked into CS. CS reads various bits of data (location of points, privacy status of street, if a street is named, etc) and decides whether that is a “node” or not.
For example: If you’ve repositioned some points in OSM (to better reflect where a road actually is) if those points are now close enough to the GPS track of a previous run then CS shall turn that node green for you.
Alternatively, if you’ve changed the status of a point (or entire road) to private (or can’t access by foot) then CS shall no longer reference that as a node to be completed.
As a further complication (and hopefully not to confuse you), some nodes are used in more than one city at once, if cities are “nested”. The 32 Borough’s of London, England are read as individual cities, but Greater London is also a City (which includes all 32 Boroughs). CS performs updates City by City, so the Borough shall be updated from OSM on one date, but the larger City (Greater London) may be updated a few weeks later. So nodes sometimes exist for an extra few weeks before disappearing.

1 Like

@e7andy makes a good point about GPS tracks. OSM can import a GPS file, which makes it pretty accurate to determine where things are (gates, etc.), or where things end (roads).

I use a Garmin, and at connect.garmin.com I can export the trace, then upload it to OSM.

PS. Just adding this in case it’s news to some.

1 Like

Before I finished reading this post, I was thinking I’m sure I saw something like that… But then you said it… https://maproulette.org/

That is really fascinating. Thanks for sharing. I knew nested cities existed, but wasn’t sure what that really meant.

RE: Peoria, IL.
Hi, in October 2021 the border for Peoria, IL was updated in OSM to include annexed land to both the northwest and northeast. Peoria was updated on 11/8/21 in CityStrides, but the new border hasn’t updated. Is it possible to correct this? Or will it update on its own later?

Jennifer

Do I have to do anything special when renaming a street on OSM? So a few “streets” here seem to extend way beyond what’s normal; when I checked on Google maps it appears that the street name is wrong.

Example: Bledsoe Ave Bledsoe Avenue - CityStrides
where the northern part is actually Reagan Road.

I submitted the change to OSM, which is why the name change is reflected; however the nodes don’t seem to be updated?

This is a known issue, see Street with two names after update

2 Likes

Ah, thank you! I’ll add my comment to that thread.

Hi James,
I have one street in Edinburgh that has stopped me from getting to 100% since last year. It has opened up a bit more now but I talked to the site manager of the housing development a couple of weeks ago and Bain Street won’t be fully built and opened for another year. I then went into OSM and, with help from someone who knew what they were doing, got the last three nodes marked as under construction. I’ve been hoping it would feed back into CS but not so far and I was wondering if you had an update planned anytime soon?
Thanks again for all you’ve done to create this wonderful site and for keeping it going.
Catriona

I can’t see which street you mean, as your profile is not open. What’s the name of the street?

Bain Street, Edinburgh. I managed to get, with help, the last three (north east end of the road) marked as under construction which I believe should count them out of CityStrides.

I think you have updated correctly in OSM, you just need to wait for the next update into CS, usually like five weeks or so. As you can see Edinburgh was last updated on July 25, so just need to wait.
Bain St is also a part of Gilmerton/Inch, which was last updated July 11, so you’ll se change there soon. You know you can set up notifications, so you’re informed of updates in CS?

I didn’t know about the notifications. I’ll sort that out now. Thanks so much for checking for me Hans. This one has been preventing me from reaching 100% for nearly a year so it will be good to get it fixed. Now if only the site manager had agreed to walk me to the end like I asked very nicely I wouldn’t have had to fix it :slight_smile:
Catriona

1 Like