OSM editing guidelines

So that outside city boundary will be solved one day… Then i start updating ‘my’ cities in OSM on driveways and private stretches and motorways that have foot = yes. It will come through one day and my run cities will legitimate jump to 100%!

1 Like

Can I suggest adding:
[‘highway’ !~ ‘trunk’] e.g. Way: ‪Piet Heintunnel‬ (‪142628388‬) | OpenStreetMap
[‘highway’ !~ ‘platform’] e.g. Way: ‪A‬ (‪444753003‬) | OpenStreetMap

2 Likes

Just catching up on this now that my completed streets have been restored–Seattle has a number of similar issues, usually 1) nodes on dead-end streets that are unreachable; 2) streets in the port or other no-access areas.

It is hard to see these on a map and it seems like a better dataset will depend on those of us who have actually gone down these dead-end streets and figured out where the bounds are.

I see some discussion on this topic but is there a post/guide anywhere that explains how to go into OSM and make these edits? And accepted practice for what edits to make?

Editing OSM is very easy: go to https://www.openstreetmap.org, click the “edit” button (you might have to register first), then find the area you want to work on. Streets are made up of dots (the nodes), you can click on them individually and make changes in the editor pane that opens on the left of the screen.

For the cases you describe it probably makes most sense to use the “access” tag, and set it to “private” or “permissive” as appropriate (under “all tags” enter “access” and select type from dropdown, or add a new tag first if necessary). When you’re done, press “save” in the top right corner, and upload your changes.

3 Likes

Just to add to the above: for anyone interested in editing OSM maproulette.org is a good place to start. The site has different challenges for improving the map, including easy ones that can help in getting familiar with how editing (and the map) works.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: “Update this street” feature

A post was split to a new topic: How are people handling possible errors with node placement in OSM?

My local osm guide advised to use the tag below in some cases, can you add this to your list as well? So the main rode is excluded.
foot=use_sidepath

Do you have any examples of streets present in CityStrides that would be removed by ignoring this tag?

here is the one the discussion was about where my local OSM guide suggested to use foot=use_sidepath instead of using foot=no (as i did)

Reading through this thread and seeing that there could be a trail option makes me excited…it would be really neat to find a way to work that into completing a city/town. Be cool to see both your trail and road completion progress.

Here’s Groenezoom in CityStrides: Groenezoom in Dordrecht, Zuid-Holland - CityStrides

Is the issue that the street has a sidewalk (or some sort of path/lane/area that is suitable for walking), so therefore it’s not foot=no?

yes, exactly.
and when i ran on the sidewalk, some of the citystrides nodes are not marked complete.

What do BLUE nodes mean? To date I’ve only seen GREEN & RED.

It doesn’t mean “Marked as manually complete” does it? That’s something I have yet to do. :slight_smile:

Dropping a reply to see the answer to blue nodes^

1 Like

It shows blue nodes if you’re not signed in. If you search for the same street from your account you’ll see red nodes instead of blue.

2 Likes

Yeah, blue nodes are either that your not logged in or that you have never completed or progressed a street in that city.

and when i ran on the sidewalk, some of the citystrides nodes are not marked complete.

I take this as a problem with CityStrides determining if you’ve progressed a Street, not a problem with the OSM data. If there’s a sidewalk on a street, I expect that can be run & should exist in CityStrides.
(My definition of “Street” for CityStrides doesn’t mean literally the street and not a sidewalk)

4 Likes

On the subject of progression:

As I am still familiarizing myself with CityStrides, I ponder many things when out collecting nodes.

One thing I am most curious about is, “How close does one need to be to a node to have it marked as done?”

When I’m in neighborhoods, I try to run/walk in the street, as I believe the node is in the center of the street, and there is usually less things to trip on (when running). But on busy streets this is not so wise. But if the detection circle is at least a couple lanes (what’s that, 24 feet? and there is GPS jitter too!), maybe I should just keep my butt on the sidewalk?

Thank you (hope that wasn’t too off topic)

25 meters

1 Like

@hjkiddk, Thank you Henrik! You either have a very good memory, or are much better at forming a search query!

Nice life map!

Cheers, Eric

1 Like