Now Testing: City street/node updates

Me too :sweat_smile:
I misunderstood one of my database queries - I thought the completed streets would be re-associated with the correct activity. I’m realizing I have to do this manually, now.

1 Like

I ran this “manually completed street checker” code that I just wrote against your account, and it was able to associate 95 manually completed streets with activities. One of them is Indian Rock Road in Bedford, New Hampshire - CityStrides … So those should no longer be appearing in your ‘manually completed’ list.

I’ll be including this in the overall (automated) city update process soon.
Thanks again for reporting & helping me out with this.

3 Likes

That’s great! Thanks.

@edsheldon : I just wanted to chime in and say, “Dang Ed, that’s a very impressive street count!”

In a number of cities, the sum of complete and incomplete streets does not match the displayed total number of streets. In my hometown, the difference is now above 300 hundreds streets. Not sure if the missing streets will appear at some point or if they should be removed from the total count.

Moreover, there are now many streets with one node in one city and one or more nodes in another city. As such, streets cannot really be fun since they are reduced to one node.

Yeah, that’s part of the bug I had in earlier updates where the code would accidentally exit early - creating zero-node streets and not updating counts. That’ll be resolved in the next update.

If you complete that one node, is it not being marked as completed?

Perhaps runners get dizzy when they run ten feet down a road to capture a single node then turn around?

1 Like

It is, but it is not completely satisfying. Look at this street: Am Wäldchen - CityStrides (the one in the West of the city since there are 2 streets with the same name). This one node street Am Wäldchen is at least 400m long. It is strange to get credit for “completing” Am Wäldchen when you run along the Talweg. In most cases, having to run until the next node would be fair enough, even if it is in the neighboring city (i.e.for me, a street should have at least 2 nodes).

For example, if I stick to the same example, but now I consider the street from the adjacent city perspective (Am Wäldchen - CityStrides). The street is also just one node there, but with my definition of a street, the strider has to run at least 400m to complete a street that actually doesn’t really exist in this city. That’s still doable, but maybe you have more extreme situations in the US with the picturesque long roads on the country-side.

1 Like

Thanks Eric. I am also trying to run every trail before I consider each town completed. I would love to have a way to determine the total number of non-street segments completed or total off-road mileage completed. It would give a better picture of my progress.

2 Likes

Wow @edsheldon, that’s a lofty, and admirable, goal!

@JamesChevalier, just had an interesting idea. Might it be possible to create a page that Striders can request a specific street to be updated, perhaps by submitting an OSM link to a specific way (I think that’s the right term)?

This might allow for quicker updates when Striders come across a problem, make an OSM change, and want to see results quicker. Might be very good for larger cities that don’t need a full update too.

Or maybe the update code only picks up OSM changes since the last update?

Anyway, that was a thought I had on yesterday’s run.

1 Like

Hi James

Any chance you can put this city up the list a bit please?

Thanks
Peter

1 Like

My city got updated in the last few days, and I have the same issue as @dbafounta (street total not equal to incomplete + complete) and I wanted to ask how long it will be before the next update (weeks/months?). It’s not a big deal, especially as the %-complete appears to be based on incomplete + complete rather than the number displayed, but still curious as to the length of the update cycle.

In the end the update was not as “bad” as I feared, I only ended up with a net loss of around 40 streets. I was expecting much worse :grinning:

Hm. Which city?

It looks like the current rate could be around once every 20 days or so. It’s tough to tell because some cities take seconds and some take a day (so far :sweat_smile:) and the current round of updates is for a year of OSM activity - so the next update may be faster. :crossed_fingers:

The city is Wien, Wien - CityStrides

Thanks.
That was synced on the 23rd. I can’t remember if my fix went in before/after that.
I manually updated the count for that city.

1 Like

Thanks, that was quick! :smiley:

Brighton, Michigan please! Brighton, Michigan - CityStrides

Hi @JamesChevalier, after the latest city updates I’ve found a few streets that have had some issues. I had this city at 100% White Rock, British Columbia - CityStrides but after the update I have one street incomplete. I clicked on it and it takes me to the ocean off the coast of Africa. CityStrides. I’ve noticed a few other streets in my other cities seem to do the same thing. Just wanted to bring it to your attention in case others are having similar experiences.

@JamesChevalier, Could you please tell me if Keller is due for another sync? I’m down to just 13 streets to go, but 8 of them have the 0-node issue, and 2 have recent updates in OSM.

Thank you, Eric