Now Testing: City street/node updates

My city was updated! Precentage of completion dropped one percent. Hurray for updated maps!

Hi @bas, do you remember what the date of the previous update was?

I think it was October 16th

1 Like

@JamesChevalier

Newton, MA just updated. Prior to the update I was at 100% completed. Now it says I’m at 97.84% but it still shows 0 incomplete streets. Also, the total street numbers don’t match, but I know that’s pretty much an issue with other cities. I have some other issues in other cities with nodes for a street being all green and not being in the completed column, but I’m waiting for all the cities in my area to update before I list them here in the forums.

@JamesChevalier Looks like changes in city boundaries are not being updated with this process. How can we get them in?

In Los Gatos, CA (Los Gatos, California - CityStrides) there was an unincorporated area (near the word Shannon in the map) that is now part of the city. I updated OSM to that effect and removed it, those streets should now be part of the city.

That’s a cool idea: Update history.

1 Like

My city was updated today, 99 days since the last update. Bas’ city was 98 days, so that seems a decent approximation for anyone still waiting…

2 Likes

@8f7162110d9eeaf907ab Hey, that’s very encouraging. 98 days since Keller was updated last. I now have hope. Thank you for sharing this! Cities near me, have already updated, but I’ve no idea on what order cities are processed. :thinking:

The background map for Nashville, TN is updating when I change OSM, but the GPS nodes aren’t.

Last update says November 1st and I think that’s accurate for the nodes, but the map has refreshed to show changes I made two weeks ago.

Alleys that no longer exist show nodes in the middle of blank space: CityStrides

I think this has been answered here Street names not in CityStrides db, but are on the CS map? basically the drawn map uses a different API and is independent of the CS database of nodes that update periodically

1 Like

Thanks! Really appreciate the info

Yahoo! Keller has updated, today, and I am now officially 0 incomplete!
210128 Keller 100

I guess the percentage still needs to be recalculated. I did notice that Keller now has 999 streets, and I have completed 984. I seem to recall reading something about this…

So Keller was amazing experience, and I saw parts of “my city” that I had no idea existed & would never have seen were it not for CityStrides. Thank you @JamesChevalier for this experience.

I did notice one weird thing. I only checked the 10 streets, in Keller, with the 0-node problem. But on each one, via a search from the city page, when I clicked “Go”, it opened the street page zoomed way out… As in the street appeared as a single node, not quite in the middle of the page. Zooming, and panning a bit, and everything looked great.

Now to finish off Roanoke and then Lipan. But my next (“big”) area will be Granbury.

Cheers all!

[Edit] Maybe the “weird thing” has something to do with the new Mapbox code?No that doesn’t make any sense, as I now recall Mapbox is strictly for the map (imagery), not streets (which come from OSM).

2 Likes

(Sorry if this info is elsewhere).
Are City updates still occurring? Frankfurt was updated and added ~170 streets (mostly trails). When I use the overpass-turbo query, those paths appear to have been removed again. Wondering if another update will remove them or if they are here to stay.

check this

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks!
Looks like I was using the older query to check my edits while the debate rages on. Glad to see them kept in.

1 Like

Hi CityStriders! I built a small script to check if an update has occurred to the streets in my city. I want to stay at 100%, but don’t want to check manually. @JamesChevalier let me know if I should stop scraping your page or what an appropriate frequency is (or if you want to build this in, feel free). CityStriders, if you know some Python and can set up a recurring task in your OS, check it out!

3 Likes

Seems like this should just be built in. Notifications for city updates let’s see how much interest it gets.

2 Likes

Hi - Could request a refresh on my hometown please? I update as I go for runs and find changes.

Waterford, CT: Waterford, Connecticut - CityStrides

If not, I completely understand. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all you do!
Craig

Craig - the city update process is automatic now. As undersand it, James’ code cycles through any city with active runners in it on a rolling basis so things get checked and updated about ever 1.5-2.5 mos depending on the load.

Nothing special needed for your city to get updated. If the “updated” date on the city page was more than a couple of mos old and you knew there were changes, then it might be worth a check.

Right now Waterford was last updated 5/8 so that was only 2 weeks ago, I’d expect another update by late June, early July based on my experience.

James recently released the city update notifications feature, so you can check that out if you want to be notified.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it.