Now Testing: City street/node updates

Greensboro NC Greensboro, North Carolina - CityStrides

1 Like

Yesterday before the update, I was at 99.3%, now I’m at 98.4% for Vancouver, BC. A few new streets have been added, one of which I was running yesterday anyway, so got credit for it and the first to complete it.

The one issue, is that a lot of city squares, some containing buildings or other structures, so you can’t hit all the nodes and as well, some of those I’ve run, but not been given credit for. Is this just a timing issue? Will the system reprocess these?

Also, one of our viaducts that I’ve run numerous times is showing up in the middle of the water, nowhere near where it belongs.

Here are two showing in the wrong place:

Showing of the coast of Gabon, Africa?

Ah, no nodes (top left on that page).
:man_shrugging:
I’ll need to research this a bit to figure out how it was included.

Those should be edited in OSM. It sounds like they’re not tagged properly.

Yeah, there’s a whole reprocessing that has to happen for all newly created nodes. This first round of updates is going to create/delete a lot of data, so it’ll take some time to update.

Requesting updates for Fair Lawn, NJ please. Some of the nodes still include non-runnable highways too. Also, there have been new streets added to the town (new construction from the last year or so), so those should be added as well. Please and thank you!!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Site availability issues today?

My two targets (in order of preference):

I’d be able to check various areas of OSM updated Keller. Granbury, not so much, as I don’t really remember my OSM edits, and there weren’t that many.

EDIT: But Granbury is fewer streets.

1 Like

@JamesChevalier Couple of questions on how you plan to implement the new OSM data. I understand you’re still beta testing with some cities before a wider release so the final roadmap/details may still be undecided.

1. Is the ingest of new OSM data going to be on a schedule? ie. each day/week/month new changes will be brought in

2. Any alerts triggered for users that had previously completed a street but new data indicates they are missing some nodes? Ex: Gus says he’s run every street of Runville, Liechtenstein. He brags about it in every pub he enters. In fact he won’t shut up about it. New OSM data brought in some new nodes & streets. Now Gus is at 99.8% completion rate. Gus wouldn’t know this unless he is still a consistent CS user. Email/fax alert to Gus to let him know to put down his beer and lace up his shoes to get the new nodes/streets? As an aside, no one likes Gus so maybe we don’t tell him ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Sidenote: Probably related to this new ingest/re-processing, streets that I know I have progressed on no longer show a percentage. In addition, the purple bar that was filled based on percentage of completed nodes actually overruns underneath map by a smidge.

1 Like

There are two cities I’m concerned with.

First, I’m running my home town of Deland, Florida, USA - DeLand, Florida - CityStrides

Second, I’m walking at lunch my workplace, Daytona Beach, Florida, USA - Daytona Beach, Florida - CityStrides

Both I’ve made corrections to in OSM, and both include nodes outside of the city. Deland will be more fun because there are pockets inside the city that aren’t in the city. This should be a bit more challenging for your code.

(I’m still making at least one correction a week to OSM, so you’ll end up updating these cities regularly.)

At any rate, thanks for the update.

One note on what I’ve seen in Vancouver: my latest run seems to have analysed every street I touched as “completed”. Some were completed on other runs and some are very clearly not completed (but the % complete is high, like 2371%). Hard to tell but I’m hopeful this is related to the new data.

Glenn Road and Cooney St in Cambridge MA are other zero-node street that is mapped off the west coast of Africa. (Looks like 0/0 lat/longitude!) Sedgewick Rd is a street I definitely have a path across, but its only node is showing as incomplete.

Last piece of info. It’s definitely the case that all my newly “incomplete” streets are at the borders between cities. In some cases I’ve actually traversed already, and in some cases it’s the zero-node issue.

(In case it’s helpful to have more instances.)

Thanks for spotting this strange percentage display @Marty & @35757131ebc41e50cb25

I think I found the problematic code. :male_detective: It lines up with a sudden increase in the size of the database (200gb+ increase within a week, where I’m usually seeing something closer to 10gb/day). :sweat_smile:
:thinking: I’m actually not sure how this hasn’t been already happening. It might just be the fact that reprocessing the entire city makes it much more noticeable.

I’m working on it & I’ll update when I have more info.

1 Like

Wyoming, MI if you are still doing cities manually :slight_smile: Wyoming, Michigan - CityStrides

Thanks for always improving the site!

If you are still taking suggestions, Aberdeen Scotland (Aberdeen, Scotland - CityStrides) has some updates that I’d love to see reflected!

Does this also explain why I am receiving credit for completing streets, which I have not in fact completed? If I display certain streets on my life map they still show up with lots of red nodes, but they appear in my list of “completed” streets. I’m in Vancouver.

Yeah. That will get cleaned up as I clean up each city’s data.

1 Like

@JamesChevalier Keller ( https://citystrides.com/cities/14388 ) Looks great! I checked all the places I can remember, with OSM edits, and the red inaccessible nodes (due to private &/or gated streets) are gone. Kudos!

PS. Remembered two in Granbury, and they look good too!

PPS. Oh, and NEW streets in Keller are there too!

But found something odd. A while back I ran 3 new streets, that were not in OSM at the time. I added to OSM. They are now in the Keller CS db, and they are in the “complete” list. But, after searching for the streets, under COMPLETE, and clicking SHOW, red nodes are shown.

The streets are Pine Valley Road, Utopia Court, and Madison Court.

Here’s a screenshot:

Not a biggie, but thought I would mention this finding.

Here too: CityStrides , but in this case I did not run on the new streets, yet, but I did “hit the nodes.”

Oh, and in both cases, Node Hunter does NOT reveal the same “red” nodes.

Maybe this is expected during the transition, but my profile is definitely a bit haywire, possibly because of the specific beta cities I suggested? Cambridge MA, which was 100% for me prior to the update, and then post-update had about 6 incomplete streets, now shows as only one street completed. Somerville MA is listed as 99.13% complete, but my profile also lists all the streets as incomplete, and node hunter shows virtually every node in the city.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s part of the rebuild - I have to do a complete wipe of progress & then recalculate it all. The data deletion takes so long. :confounded:

1 Like