Nodes - Where do they come from

I had previously complained about cemetary streets suddenly being added. But I accepted that they were added to Open Streets so…

But yesterday I noticed that all of a sudden I no longer was 100% for Haverford. There was a new node - Mark’s Barber Shop. I ran there today. It’s not a street but a small driveway back to small parking lot. I am guessing that Mark’s shop is there somewhere but I didn’t see it. How does this happen? Does Mark go in and put his own node in. This is very annoying.

All the street data comes from OpenStreetMap.

OpenStreetMap is built by a community of mappers that contribute and maintain data about roads, trails, cafés, railway stations, and much more, all over the world.
OpenStreetMap’s community is diverse, passionate, and growing every day. Our contributors include enthusiast mappers, GIS professionals, engineers running the OSM servers, humanitarians mapping disaster-affected areas, and many more.

Some additional information is available in About the Node, Street, and City Data as well

So, basically, someone (potentially local, but not necessarily) noticed that some driveway/parking lot wasn’t mapped in OSM & added it. It sounds like the data they added to OSM was tagged in a way that makes it seem like a street.

If you provide links (either to CityStrides or OpenStreetMap), it’s possible that some members of this community can help you get things corrected.

Fixed. For completeness’ sake, the changeset that introduced the “bug”.

1 Like