New: Garmin Integration -- Available To EVERYONE

Thanks for sharing this simple work around! I have a run from the 25th that hasn’t been worked into the system yet. I’ll give this a go.

Update - I deleted the activity and re-uploaded it as a .gpx to garmin. The activity synced almost immediately. Works great!

I connected my Garmin account and paused Strava. Unfortunately since doing that, now my run is not even downloading to my Garmin Connect or Strava apps, which it used to do pretty much immediately after I finished my run. Has anyone else had this problem? My Garmin Connect is what I rely on. Is there a way I can undo everything so my Garmin Connect works again? I even signed out of CityStrides app hoping that’d work. I’d be willing to delete the app if I knew that would fix it.

Is your problem that you have an activity on your Garmin device that is not transferring into Garmin Connect?
That problem has nothing to do with CityStrides at all. It’s only a coincidence that the two things happened at the same time.

If that’s the case, I would advice you to work the issue out with Garmin support and make no changes in CityStrides.
Let me know if I’m misunderstanding the problem you’re describing.

I have the Garmin sync working on my CS account and have had no issues with my device syncing to Garmin Connect, so I think @JamesChevalier’s suggestion to troubleshoot the Device->Garmin or Garmin->Strava issues as separate from your newly created CS link.

There was another one of those weird queue backups that seems to be caused by many deleted activities. If that was the issue, then the activity should be in CityStrides now @janelle272

I’ve got a potential fix for that weird queue issue - if it’s caused by deletions. It’s just held up because I’m always halfway through improving the performance of the advanced LifeMap hover behavior. :rocket:
With some luck, they’ll both be released tomorrow.

2 Likes

Cheers - Just synced up with Garmin. Where are things up to with historic syncing from there?

I’m load testing with a couple accounts. I have no idea what kind of load this is going to put on the servers, so I have to go slow. Share your profile link if you want me to do a full history sync for your Garmin account.

Sure, that’d be cool, thanks - Eh? Done. - CityStrides

Me too? Aaron Schinkowitch - CityStrides

Seems to be on its way now - jump from 500 to 755 activities overnight, only around 300 to go! But…
Something funny is happening with my life map now. I have to zoom right out to level 9 for any activities to show. Any closer than that and everything disappears:

I’ve tried refreshing, and clearing cache, but it doesn’t help.

Actually, not as straightforward as zoom level 9. If I use the mouse wheel and get “intermediate” zoom levels I can see some runs closer up, but some map tiles do no show any, eg:

If I zoom out a bit, everything appears. Zoom in any further and everything disappers.

If you’re still doing this I’d love to test it. Andrew Reifman-Packett - CityStrides

@aidangrant For those kinds of lifemap issues, trying clearing the browser cache and reloading - often a local storage issue.

This map issue is This is the thread for Advanced LifeMap problems

I’ve got @andrew & @aaron.schinkowitch & @aidangrant & @jpbari & @davemorin accounts going on a full history sync now. I’ve disabled the ‘Run History Sync’ button for you, that I’m about to mention :point_down:

The underlying process (right now) is that it requests 90 days of activities (Garmin-imposed restriction), then schedules itself to ask for another 90 days in 1 hour, and repeats until it gets back to 2004 (Garmin’s suggested “earliest data available” year).

Anyone else who has a Garmin account connected - there’s now a ‘Run History Sync’ button available on your Settings page. You can only do this once, because it queues up the full history sync mentioned here. So go ahead and click that button if you want your full Garmin history in CityStrides.

2 Likes

Thanks Jim - map seems to have resolved itself now, but I’ll keep an eye on it.

Garmin sync seemed to work well initially… it’s been stuck on 948 (out of around 1160) for half a day now though. Are there problems with it, or anything I need to do?

Hey James, I had clicked to do a full history sync, but its really not necessary, so if it would lighten your load, you can pull mine out of the queue, if that’s possible. Thanks!

Has anyone seen inconsistent Garmin syncing?

I’ve received one report of someone who says that new activities aren’t arriving from Garmin (this is not connected to history syncing). I’m working with them to see if I can figure it out, but I want to know if anyone else is also experiencing this issue & just not reporting it.

Just the thing I reported above… it seemed fine and pretty quick, but has frozen all day today. I don’t know if it thinks it’s finished?

There was a decent backlog today that caused lots of slowness. It sounds like you’re referring to the history syncing.
I wasn’t clear that the issue is with new activities not arriving in CityStrides. I’ll update my post - thanks!

If you share your profile link, I can check to make sure your history syncing is still going.
I also have no visibility into how fast Garmin keeps up with my history requests (their process is that I request 90 days of activities, and they immediately respond with just an “ok”, and then at some point later they send me notifications of those activities as if they had just happened).