New: Garmin Integration -- Available To EVERYONE

Cheers, keep up the good work!

Oh, do I need to resume the normal Strava sync for that to work, btw?

ugh, yeah :man_facepalming: I havenā€™t made that ā€œpause-agnosticā€ yet

This friend set garmin sync up, but all his runs were still coming in from Strava. I suggested he pause strava to save API, so he did but now hasnā€™t had the last run show up on his profile with only garmin.

I donā€™t THINK he has Garmin paused by accident, but it could use a look.

He should have a run from 5/5

Garmin sync is not working. After doing the historical sync on Tuesday night, it uploaded about 600 activities. Since yesterday afternoon it does nothing anymore, neither historical synchronization nor synchronizes the activity of today. Can I do something or just wait?

I donā€™t have a great understanding of how their history syncing works on their side. My interaction with it is that I request 90 days of activities, and they immediately respond with just an ā€œokā€, and then at some point later they send me notifications of those activities as if they had just happened. I donā€™t know what that delay looks like (seconds? minutes? hours? days?).

Also - Overnight, the server ran out of disk space. Garmin sends the full activity in their notifications, and the notifications are logged ā€¦ I didnā€™t put 2 & 2 together, and the logs filled the disk :grimacing: ā€¦ Iā€™ve resolved the issue this morning by filtering out the bulk of the data that Garmin sends (Iā€™m still logging some of the notification so that I can debug if/when the notifications are received).

It looks like there are 6 notifications in Garminā€™s retry queue right now. I donā€™t know what their retry schedule is, but I expect to receive all of these sometime today. These 6 notifications could either be 1 activity each or many each.

Letā€™s wait a bit before taking any action. Iā€™m monitoring Garminā€™s retry queue & asking their support team about what timeline the history sync usually operates on.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still missing my activity from April 25, I have reported it a couple times in the thread. Todayā€™s run hasnā€™t appeared in my profile either, it seems weird that it takes so long to sync since Training Peaks and Strava get their updates immediately.

Training Peaks and Strava have had their Garmin connection up and running for a little bit longer than I have with CityStrides. Theyā€™ve probably figured out a few things along the way that I havenā€™t, yet. :wink: Like how logs will fill up a disk :grimacing: or like how Lambda has a 6mb limit which Garmin exceeds and AWS logs are nearly impossible to navigate so itā€™s not immediately visible that notifications are being dropped for like the first week of the project :grimacing:

I did just learn how I can request a specific activity (Garminā€™s API is a little odd, but it kind of has to be in order to allow offline recording / periodic syncing from their hardware) so Iā€™ll see if I can figure that out for your 4/25 activity.

Update: just ran that query for the 25thā€¦ let me know what you see :thinking: today? :laughing:

Update: also just ran the 5/5 query for Andrew, @jpbari

2 Likes

@jpbari - quick one off missing Garmin activities like this can also be fixed by downloading the original file from Garmin Connect, deleting the activity in Garmin Connect, and then uploading the original file to Garmin Connect if you friend is up for it and wants a quick fix. I did this for an activity that got lost during my Strava>Garmin switch for CS and it worked like a charm.

1 Like

Ah, thatā€™s right! I remember you saying that in another thread now. That might be MY first thing to try if it happens to me, but my buddy? He has trouble turning his computer on sometimes, so I am not sure that would be up his alley.

@JamesChevalier - Thanks. Weā€™ll keep an eye on it.

2 Likes

Thank you @JamesChevalier, the April 25th activity is now in, and this morning run is too.

I also upped my monthly subscription rate, I appreciate this site so so so much.

1 Like

@JamesChevalier - Andrewā€™s 5/5 activity has not yet come through, and a run from today has not shown up yet either. I am not sure if @andrewjanes33 has ever had a garmin activity come in successfully.

We may need him to actually get him to help himself on this a bit :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ah! I figured it outā€¦ His account is set to ā€œper activityā€ privacy ā€¦ Garmin does not provide the privacy setting for the activities in the notifications ( :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: ) so I really donā€™t have a choice but to mark those as private.

1 Like

Thanks. He checked and things are coming in and displaying properly now.

1 Like

My account still isnā€™t budging, 2 days later. The only additions have been 2 new runs and three which I pushed in with single activity sync from Strava. Any ideas?

Do you have activities missing on exact dates?
Is it everything before a certain date?

I need exact dates to request old activities from Garmin, outside of the one-time full-history sync.
I did just confirm that your full-history sync process has finished, so either Iā€™m waiting on Garmin to alert for those activities or something about that request didnā€™t work.
If you share missing activity URLs, I can pass those along to Garmin support to take a look.

1 Like

Iā€™ll check - Iā€™m purely going on the total number of activities, which is a couple of hundred short of the total runs in Garmin

hrm, ok ā€¦ any chance those couple hundred are biking, kayaking, or whitewater cyclocross (very popular these days)?

Even if you can only find 1 or 2 activity URLs, that could be enough to pass along. :+1:

Nope, all running. Thereā€™s a few hundred more bike rides as well, not so much kayaking!

Iā€™ll find a couple of specific ones and send the links over.

I managed to find an early one thatā€™s missingā€¦ Garmin Connect

Is there any way to export a list of activities? Would make it a lot easier to compare against Strava and spot missing ones (Garmin not so much, as Iā€™ve not found an easy way to export all activities form there either, but if their in Strava they will be in Garmin)