New: Garmin Integration -- Available To EVERYONE

Thanks for the updates James!

Update - I am only missing a run from April 25th now. Syncing for all recent runs has been instant!

My CS profile: Wes Plate - CityStrides
My missing Garmin activity date: April 25 2020 (saved to Garmin the same day)

Thank you!

A missed activity here too.

CS Profile: Richard Hall - CityStrides
Garmin activity: Garmin Connect
Uploaded to Garmin Connect 27 Apr 2020

Thanks for all your work on this!

I have a missing activity. My CS profile is https://citystrides.com/users/6936 date of activity 27 April (saved on Garmin on the same day).

CS profile: Tymoteusz Kajstura - CityStrides
Missing dates: 4/26 (caught in the Strava/Garmin switch), 4/27 (after Garmin activation)

A post was split to a new topic: Ability to check where activity is syncing from?

It’s been 90 minutes since I uploaded to garmin and I still don’t have anything. This is supposed to be the last street in my city so I’m very interested to see it upload. 90 minutes seems pretty long to me.

2 Likes

Awesome job, Jeremy!

Seeing that 100% show up is always fun.

There is a post further up where James talks about some of the technical challenges he is facing. I don’t understand what they mean, but We should try to be patient as James is still kind of in the Beta stages of this Garmin integration. We can’t forget (or if you didn’t know,) CityStrides is a hobby side-gig that he does in his spare time.

Alright :flushed:
So :sweat_smile:

Today I Learned that Amazon Lambda has an upper limit to the size of request you can send it.
This, paired with the fact that you all run too much, meant that Garmin was sending me notifications that were breaking Lambda.

I sorted this out by moving that onto the server.

Garmin automatically retries sending these notifications, so … here’s some live footage of Garmin and my server right now:

This will take some time, but I’m pretty hopeful that all these activities will all arrive in CityStrides soon*

*Overnight, probably :man_shrugging: we’ll see

9 Likes

Thanks James, does this cover all activities since we went live with the plugin (Friday for me)?

I checked this morning and my account is now up-to-date with all lagging Garmin activities synchronized.

Thanks!

My run has shown up but seeing that 100% show up, which I’ve heard is fun, has not happened yet. 0 incomplete streets and 99.87% complete.

20 hours ago I ran the length of a parking lot because citystrides thinks it’s a street. Fine, whatever. 6 hours later the run finally uploads and I see that I’ve missed a node because that node is in the middle of a house and I foolishly only ran up to the fence and not through it and into the house. Fine, whatever, mark it manually complete for a very unsatisfying end to running every street in the city. Profile still shows 99.87%, probably cached, surely all will be good in the morning. Wake up, 99.87%. In a system that tracks and reports percentages, the act of getting to 100% is the pinnacle and this feel like anything but.

Profile: https://citystrides.com/users/18111
Garmin link: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4848863226
Activity: 6 hours ago (0738 28 April 2020)

My first run on Garmin went through in seconds (on Sunday). I have paused Strava.

I connected with Garmin last night, ran early this morning but nothing came over to city strides. It’s been about 2 hours. What are we seeing for usual time to upload from Garmin to cs?

2 Garmin activities yesterday. 1 walk in the morning around 10am, 1 run the evening around 5pm.

Last night after 8pm, still did not see either activity. Saw this thread and went to bed, planning to post in the morning.

This morning ~7am I do see the two activities, BUT no streets are complete, only progressed. There are definitely completed streets on both, as all nodes are green on some streets, not all. Morning walk is showing 13 progressed, evening run is 16 progressed.

Profile page is: Eric Wes - CityStrides

Thank you @JamesChevalier!

Had same issue. It later changed to show some complete but took a long time. And my overall percentage in my city didn’t move despite the completions. In my case the only way I can even get anything to show in cs is to do a one time missing activity sync from Strava. Direct Garmin doesn’t seem to work at all

2 Likes

Hi @pgillis24, so your streets did eventually turn complete? That’s good news (for me), maybe I’m just not being patient enough. :crossed_fingers:

First time I had activities with Garmin, sync was very fast. But fewer users, so I suspect a few kinks are surfacing, which is expected.

Thank you for posting.

PS. I’m going to hold off on the manual sync to see what happens.

Yes. Eventually. Same thing this morning. Waiting for them to turn complete but last night they eventually did

1 Like

Yeah, James said elsewhere that the CityStrides Servers are bogged down in tasks and processing slow. Improving that is certainly on his radar, but as he said there:

1 Like

Best I can tell right now is that a little over 1k people deleted at least one activity (some went on some kind of delete spree that I’ll never understand), and wow did I not plan for that. :sweat_smile:

I built this part out only expecting people to delete things if there was something seriously wrong with the activity (for example, some of us have seen an activity arrive in CityStrides but no map). So when an activity is deleted I reprocess any progression (maybe the deleted activity completed a street, and there’s some other activity/activities that also would have completed it) so that your progress doesn’t go down just because you deleted the one magic activity.

So, I’m flailing around trying to figure out how I can solve this problem. Then I can go back to the Garmin sync problem (though I’m hopeful that this is resolved). Then I can go back to the Strava sync problem. Then I can have a big ole glass of scotch.

Update: To be clear: this backup likely affects everything. Syncing, percentage updates, etc.

8 Likes