New Cities Request: Isle of Man

Someone added a few places to the spreadsheet, but I had some questions. Hopefully this reaches them or someone else who knows what I should do here. :smile:

Isle of Man has places in both admin level 6 and 8. Typically admin level 6 is “county” and 8 is “city”. The person requested that admin level 6 be imported into CityStrides, but I’m wondering if those areas are too large.

Here's the list of places at admin level 6

Michael
Rushen
Ayre
Garff
Middle
Glenfaba

Here's the list of places at admin level 8

German
Ballaugh
Braddan
Marown
Malew
Patrick
Santon
Arbory
Rushen
Castletown
Port Erin
Port Saint Mary
Andreas
Ramsey
Peel
Lezayre
Lonan
Laxey
Douglas
Michael
Maughold
Bride
Onchan
Jurby

I’m guessing that Isle of Man should only have 1 Region, itself (just for organizational purposes). So my question is which list of Cities should be imported into CityStrides → 6 or 8?

:thinking: The admin level 6 are Sheadings, so I thought admin level 8 might be the Parishes - but there are more in this list than in List of places in the Isle of Man

I’m thinking that the original request in the spreadsheet - for the Sheadings - seems correct…

I’ve added the cities to the Isle of Man country/region: Isle of Man, Isle of Man - CityStrides because the record was classified a “country” (admin level 2) in OSM: Relation: ‪Isle of Man‬ (‪62269‬) | OpenStreetMap

It might make more sense for Isle of Man to exist as another region within United Kingdom though United Kingdom - CityStrides

1 Like

Technically, the Isle of Man is a separate country from the UK. It shares the Queen as the Head of State, but is not legally part of the United Kingdom. It is a ‘self governing British crown dependency’(!).

That might be more information than is really needed for CityStrides, but it might also be interesting!

More info: Isle of Man - Wikipedia