Inaccessible Node

I was walking near my job, knocking off city roads one block at a time. I was walking on South Seagrave Avenue in Daytona Beach between Orange Avenue and International Speedway Boulevard and the stub streets to the west.

The next day I checked out my progress on City Strides, and noticed there was one node left at the end of Magnolia. So I went back out there to finish the street, and realized that the street on the site continued through a fence and closed gate, making the node inaccessible.

So I went back to my office, and ran through most of the editing walkthrough for Open Street Maps. Then I shortened the road to end it at the fence line.

I also tagged the building I work.

Yea me!

(Now all I need to do is wait for the maps on City Strides to be updated. And the node will go away, I hope.)

2 Likes

Woo!! :tada:
Thanks for helping out in OSM!

Yeah, once I get this update code built out your edits will come into CityStrides.

How do I report inaccessible nodes? I’m almost done with my town, except for the few inaccessible nodes.

Those need to be edited in OSM.

Hopefully someone can write up a how-to-fix-inaccessible-node guide (maybe a good wiki entry?) because I’m not sure how to, either. :grimacing:

Oh, no! I’m 94%+ complete!

If you’re at 94% right now, there’s a good chance that your actually very close to 100%. In my home city, there are a lot of nodes that are actually outside the city limits. Once the map update occurs, many of those nodes should (I hope) disappear, increasing your completion percentage.

At least, that’s my plan when I’m running my city. I’m not chasing down those nodes on the theory that they’ll go away at some point. (And if I ever complete all the nodes inside the city and the ones outside are still there, I’ll run those at that time.)

I am concerned about how the decision will be made as to what’s inside the city. As the city has grown, there are now some sections of the unincorporated county completely surrounded by the city. I hope the data is in OSM rather than having to manually adjust certain sections of the map.

But we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

1 Like

Curious as to the county roads that go on for miles outside city limits. Shouldn’t the nodes stop at the city limit? Some of these rural 2 lane highways are not safe to run on.

Yeah that’s a thing: Some Streets contain Nodes outside of City boundary

Newly imported cities shouldn’t have this issue and it should be sorted out whenever I get to the update process.

1 Like

How to we go about fixing these? I have 3 nodes that are in the middle of a dual carriageway. I have thought about a night run, but may be wiser to fix it for others not to follow :slight_smile:

These are changes that COULD be made in OSM, but I am always torn when making changes of some types.

I don’t know whether to make changes to OSM because it makes a better Citystrides if it makes an inaccurate map for the rest of the OSM users.

Examples that I sometimes wonder about:

• Private/Public ways in “private” subdivisions, condo complexes and apartment areas
  • multiple nodes on a divided highway that has two directions
  • streets that are technically not closed to foot traffic but running/walking on them isn’t ideal

If we mark Foot = no or Access = Private on some things it might make for a safer/better CS map, but it might not be accurate

I see no problem marking private roads as private in OSM. If I can’t go down that road legally, then any routing software that uses OSM needs to know that, while a road physically exists, it can’t be used by the general public.

As for the divided highway, if there isn’t a sidewalk it probably SHOULD be tagged as no foot traffic. On the other hand, I don’t feel there’s a problem if you need to run the sidewalk on each side of a divided highway.

Your last example probably shouldn’t be tagged. Different people have different risk tolerance. I’d let the runner decide if they think the road is safe.

1 Like

couldn’t have said it better

This is exactly the reason why I think mark manually complete should always exist. There are many scenarios of varying complexity based on availability and/or safety. Seems silly to be forced to understand all the nuances of updating OSM to finish something that is reasonably complete. As stated sometimes no matter what options exist in OSM there may not be a reasonable or safe way to run something while also keeping OSM accurate. Lifemaps tell the true story anyways.

1 Like

I added a little to Jame’s wiki entry here: https://community.citystrides.com/t/about-the-street-node-data

I mentioned the OSM tutorial to learn how to edit, or you can use the “Add note” feature desribed there, to suggest an edit… Though not sure how that gets processed. I’m finding it easy enough to make simple edits myself, but I did check the “please review” when I saved, just in case. :slight_smile: