Help me test LifeMap Beta (in-browser cache)

I released a beta version of LifeMap that includes in-browser cache. It stores all of your activities in your browser (using IndexedDB via Dexie if you’re interested). I’m hoping that this speeds things up for you and makes the site a little cheaper for me to operate.

I’ve never worked with IndexedDB/Dexie before, so I’m not sure if I’m doing it right. I’d love your help testing it, if you have some free time (or want to try using it exclusively for a little bit).

To view it, you add _beta to the end of the URL (before the # if you’ve zoomed/scrolled). So my LifeMap URL is James Chevalier's Map View - CityStrides and my LifeMap Beta URL is https://citystrides.com/users/1/map_beta

:man_shrugging: Does it work for you? Does it seem faster?

1 Like

It works for me, but not sure it’s faster.

Perhaps the benefits will only really show, when the servers are under heavy load?

1 Like

It works fine for me. It seems a bit faster on PC, but my internet speed is a bit variable so I can’t be sure. It doesn’t seem to make much difference on my phone.

1 Like

Works for me. I don’t know if its any faster though.

1 Like

Yep, quicker for me. With a lot of info to load (7000 streets completed), it takes 23 seconds for the regular page and between 17 and 19 seconds for the beta.

Thanks for everything you do to keep building and improving!

1 Like

I echo the other sentiments. Seems to work just fine, tried it on both desktop and mobile.

1 Like

Same results as the others with small data-sets… works correctly, but no noticeable speed difference.

1 Like

I’ve just replaced the regular LifeMap with the in-browser cache version. This should make the LifeMap a little faster, because it doesn’t have to download all of your data every time you view the page. This should also decrease my bandwidth costs (if it’s even a noticeable amount), for the same reason.

If you’re a developer or just interested: This is my first time using IndexedDB, so I submitted my implementation to Code Review Stack Exchange to see if anyone could point out flaws. The response that I got was mostly for syntax simplifications, so I decided to see how it behaves on the live site.

1 Like