Hey Vincent & everyone else in the thread - I just want to quickly poke my head in and let you all know that I’m aware of the problem & really want to get it fixed. I don’t have a ton of time right now to get into all the details and decisions that got CityStrides here, but I can at least start to explain…
Yeah, I’m in a tough situation on this one. The (somewhat) shortened version of the situation is that OSM doesn’t have perfect data, so I opted to take in more than I needed with the intention of trimming out the excess. I added ‘flag for review’ buttons on each street, kind of taking a cue from Foursquare & how their user base helps manage the site’s data (or at least they used to, by giving certain ‘super users’ more access to the moderation system).
So I’ve got the start of a moderation system, but I haven’t really been able to follow through on that completely - adding different levels of access to certain users, or automatically removing streets that are flagged a certain number of times, or something else…
If I only import ‘highway’ tags, I lose out on things that are not tagged completely. In some areas, this would make my import useless.
If I import everything (like I am) and sort things out within CityStrides, then I start with a mess and need to clean things up. That’s where I am now.
Gotta run for now, but I’ll be back when I’ve got some more time for more explanation. If anyone has any more questions/suggestions, please share them - I’ll reply everywhere I can!
Thanks for talking about this everyone, I really appreciate it!