City progress incorrect / Completed street count decreasing

Got updates in my cities but 2 days later Guildford still hasn’t “given” me some new streets have done. City Tim Grose is running Guildford, England - CityStrides
One example street Allingham Meadow - CityStrides 100% complete by me but still in my Incomplete list.

Little update: I just did a run and touched a few of the new nodes on https://citystrides.com/streets/9193078. This correctly set the street to completed, even though I have not run all the nodes (99.65%). So it seems to be limited only to the calculation after a city update. Not sure what happens if you run a street and don’t touch any new nodes though.

Same problem here in Bremen, Germany.

Quick update…

On the 18th, I updated some post-city-update processing which greatly speeds up overall processing. It looks like city updates will come through closer to every 2 weeks as opposed to every 2-4 months.
This change caused the overall order of events to change in a way that causes it to calculate completed streets before other aspects of the update are complete. It’s basically too fast for itself. I’m still working through adjusting that so everything flows as expected.

I think I’ve been able to confirm that all of the underlying data is good & it’s just this street completion calculation that needs to move … Both Guildford & Bremen were just reprocessed and the updated numbers look good.
This means that once I finalize the adjustments, I’ll be able to push through a recalculation for all cities updated between the 18th and whatever “today” that ends up being (hopefully Actually Today™). That will be a lot of processing, so I’d queue all that to run overnight.

In the meantime (hopefully just today), your LifeMap is accurate & Node Hunter will work properly. It’s the incomplete street lists that may be incorrect for cities updated from the 18th.

6 Likes

I shared an update in another thread on the same topic: Many completed streets say incomplete - #32

Thanks for the updates! It’ll definitely be nicer having the updates come in faster.

Just curious though, did you look at the node deletion/removal part of the city update? It’s been an issue for a while now (see this thread) and I figure it might make sense to look at it while you’re fixing everything up.

Hi! This has happened a few times but the number of completed streets on my profile is seemingly going down. Anyone else have this?

Mine total streets and % done and everything else has gone down and up and down again numerous times the past few days. I have more or less just sighed and come to the realization that this will just have to be a guideline at best. Have to make some streets manually as the GPS had me running over buildings (downtown) and didn’t grab the nodes. Feeling you can only be a completist in hard mode if you live in a field with no buildings around you or a far better watch than mine.

I have now twice marked manually all streets that I have ran from first >200 incomplete to <100 incomplete, then >400 incomplete to <100 incomplete. And now after last night, back to +400 incomplete. I give up.

I feel your pain and my strategy is to tweak the errant GPS traces on Runkeeper with their web-based editing tool. It’s pretty straightforward and intuitive, easy to create a Runkeeper account, export your .gpx from another service and upload there. Here’s a little before/after from one such problem area on my run yesterday:

1 Like

This issue isn’t common - I’ve introduced the problem on the 18th, when I updated the city update process to be much more efficient. It’s a (poorly designed, as I’m finding out) distributed workload, so this improvement is causing problems. I do not expect this issue to linger much longer.

5 Likes

I appreciate your frustration - I am working on it.

Can you share any links? Profile link, city link - this information helps me immensely as I get to re-run code and see if the results end up where I expect. Without this information, I have to completely guess and wait to hear back from frustrated people like yourself. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Beerway To Hell - CityStrides
Eläinlääkärinkatu - CityStrides

I used edited GPS tracks, this is the track for the street above:

1 Like

I also tweak my gps traces, and one thing to keep in mind is that CS checks if a point (and not the trace) is near a node. When editing tracks it’s tempting to cover a street using a point at the beginning, and a point at the end, with the trace linking the two. If there is a node in the middle of the street, this might not be counted as completed, as the points are too far away. I suspect this is the case in the image you shared. If you edit your track to have an additional point where the node is and run it through processing again it should work.

TLDR: points get nodes, traces make maps

3 Likes

:raised_hands: Thank you!

I’m going to run some test updates during my lunch break, so your numbers may be a bit flakey again today.

For anyone else following along:

Know that I’m currently working on this issue. I’m hoping that cities update from 25th on are ok but that cities updated 18th-24th might still be funky.

If you choose to reply here, please include a link to your profile and a link to a street that should be marked complete. I pretty much can’t help you directly without that information.

1 Like

Thanks, I noticed that it keeps changing. At some point is was exactly what I was aiming at, 66 incomplete (now at 74).

Excellent work, thank you!

Wow, that’s awesome to know about, thank you! I use Runkeeper and have just been re-running if I can when the GPS trace ends up weird. This is so helpful!

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve lost about 70 completed streets since the updates. Here are links to my profile and an example of a street that was marked as complete at 98% and it now incomplete. Thanks for your updates!

Link to my profile:

N. Racine Avenue which should be marked complete

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.16.58 PM
That last update appears to have re-added nodes that should not be there. I’ve used CityStrides to help update OpenStreetMap and the red nodes on this “street” had been removed after I correctly changed that OSM way to the gated parking lot of the police station and is no longer a passable street, but are back again, which also means I no longer 100% that street and that city.

Here are more examples. Just trying to be helpful.
(I had completed Hales Corners last year. Now it says 6 incomplete.)