Map of uncompleted streets in my city

Option 1 is useful because I have a list of maybe 120 streets, spread out all over the city, and itā€™s a 20 km to run to reach each one of them. If I canā€™t see a unified view of the unfinished nodes, itā€™s hard to plan a route. Hereā€™s an example of what it could look like:

This map would be even better if it pointed out individual nodes. In most cases I am only missing single nodes, anyway!

The 90% node thing is a nice to have for the strict crowd, as you say. BUT until you give us an option to avoid the 90% rule, thereā€™s not really much value in a ā€œsee missing 10% nodesā€. I love the idea, but as far as ROI for new features, itā€™s much less.

3 Likes

Here is how I look at unfinished nodes:

firstly I explore sometimes which nodes belong to a street or building, sportfield, canal, graveyard, school, church, massive building or other ā€˜objectsā€™

Second I always look at finished and unfinished streets and see then the unfinished nodes when I have run. Most of them I understand but sometimes there are unexpected things like 2 streets with the same name or nodes in the water, buildings etc. Thats gives me an understanding of the nodes versus streets.

When i have finished my city (and that will be ahwile with > 6000 streets I will eventually be looking at unfinished stees, nodes, impossible objects and impossivle nodes and flag them or maybe ā€˜bushwalkā€™ some :slight_smile:

my 0,02 cts :slight_smile:

+1 for option 1. Nodes for unfinished streets only. The main goal here is to finish all streets (at the current 90% rate), and this feature helps doing that.
This does not exclude ā€˜advancedā€™ options:

• a toggle to show all nodes, regardless of street status
  • show all nodes, but with different colours depending on street status
  • for some, only complete a street at 100%, which puts all the un-run nodes in the same basket anyway

Even if you could be looking at streets/parks/golf courses in an area and then multi-select which incomplete streetā€™s nodes to show, it would be helpful. I have a bunch at Locarno/Jericho which are off the beaten path and putting all of them on one view would help me plan a run. Otherwise, I can only save screen caps and bring them up as I run. There are lots of data views that could be tested.

1 Like

:anguished: :confounded: :angry:
I thought I had a version of this that was ready to try, but in my first test I almost took the entire site down.
I guess Iā€™m going to have to come up with some clever way to query a ~200million row table.
:flushed: :grimacing:

1 Like

:tada: I DID IT :tada:

It actually turned out to be much simpler than it seemed. My original code was accidentally converting data types for the 200+million records and also trying to do the search at the same time. :grimacing: :man_facepalming:

So now the new Node Hunter feature is present on the LifeMap for any Monthly Contributor. Iā€™ll be writing up a post for the #announcements category tonight.

Update: Announcement posted: New: Node Hunter

8 Likes

You did it! But ā€¦ itā€™s option 2, correct? All the missing nodes, even on completed streets.

This isnā€™t very useful to me; I need the nodes that lead me to complete the last remaining streets only.

Also, clicking the Node Hunter symbol seems to only load part of the set of uncompleted nodes; thereā€™s clearly more that are missing.

Yeah, currently it is showing Nodes whether or not theyā€™re attached to completed Streets ā€¦ however ā€¦ I expect to be able to update this tonight so the Nodes on the map will only be for (Edit: uncompleted) Streets. Iā€™ll update the #announcements post after that is released.

Yeah, there is a 1,000 Node limit on the page. So if youā€™re zoomed out quite a bit in a way thatā€™ll show more than 1k unfinished Nodes then you wonā€™t see them all. There should be a warning popup that tells you this, though.

1 Like

Yes!!!
Assuming you mean uncompleted streets.

The warning about 1000 nodes is a bit off, it seems. When I zoom into my city and click Node Hunter, it shows me ~20 nodes in a corner of the map, and displays the warning. What probably happens is that it fetches 1000 nodes that would be outside the map, and displays a small section into view.
In other words: properly asking for only nodes in the viewport would help fix this problem.

Thanks! I edited my comment. :smile:

If you go through that processā€¦ Zoom in, click Node Hunter, then see ~20 Nodes in the corner ā€¦ if you then zoom out, are you seeing Nodes elsewhere that would have been out of view at the previous zoom level?

Also, if you have the time/energy, would you be able to share a screen shot of the ~20 Node situation?
(what a coincidence that my upcoming mixtape also happens to be named ''The ~20 Node Situation" :laughing: )

a this is a very nice feature. Sometimes i look at a street or field before i run/walk where the nodes are. One of the the problems is that that you can look aat streets but schools, churches, soccer fields etc are sometimes not findable or sometimes just not mentioned.
I am hoewever not sure how this feature works 100% correct. Is the restriction 100 or 1000 nodes?

Itā€™s definitely a 1000 node limit :slight_smile:

Those non-street things shouldnā€™t really be in CityStrides. Itā€™s possible that Iā€™ve deleted themā€¦

I also updated the code this evening to limit the Nodes displayed to those attached to unfinished Streets. :rocket:

1 Like

it looks hot, i mean cool :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ve used it successfully twice today.

1 Like

Thatā€™s AWESOME!
Iā€™d love to hear your feedback on how useful it is / what could be better.

I used the new Node Hunter feature before my commutes to and from work, and it helped me to find the specific waypoints to include in my route.

I needed to be zoomed into a small area for the feature to work reliably, but that just meant using the Node Hunter on a few patches along my commute. Easy enough.

1 Like

Hereā€™s an example. The nodes displayed are for the city of Hilversum, and are correct. The westernmost section of this map is in the city of Wijdemeren, and completely empty, although thereā€™s enough unexplored streets, and thereā€™s nowhere near 1000 nodes on the map.

I played around a bit and hereā€™s what I think is happening: the cities are considered in alphabetical order. Hilversum is loaded, and somehow the cap applies, then displayed. Then, Wijdemeren is considered, but the cap is already maxed out so nothing happens there.

Zooming out does not reveal any other nodes, so the viewport is correctly considered.

If this is true, then the solution is something like ā€œapply cap later in the processā€, instead of:

1. select nodes from Hilversum
  2. cap at 1000
  3. display nodes on unfinished streets
  4. consider Wijdemeren

do

1. select nodes from Hilversum
  2. select nodes from Wijdemeren
  3. cap display nodes on unfinished streets at 1000
  4. display nodes

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks @rutgermooy this is really helpful!

Unfortunately, Iā€™ll need to do some discovery work - these queries arenā€™t concerned with Cities at all.

The code is getting the ā€œbounding boxā€ of your browser (the coordinates for the top right corner and the bottom left corner of your window) & using those coordinates to query for Nodes within that space. Itā€™s limiting that query to 1000 records. Then itā€™s looking through all of those results and discarding any Node that is completed or related to a completed Street.

My guess is that thereā€™s something wrong with the original query (Nodes within that space):

Node.where("ST_Intersects(ST_MakeEnvelope(#{sw_lon},#{sw_lat},#{ne_lon},#{ne_lat}, 4326), geog)").order('id asc').limit(1000)

:thinking: Time to :nerd_face:

firstly it is very usefull i think as it is now I already used it.

I tested a few points of view.
It works ok if there it is unchartered land but I think the problems lies in the interaction with already run areaā€™s then left and middle areaā€™s.